Sandalphon Capital is an emerging Chicago-based venture capital firm focused on Pre-Seed, Seed and Series A stage investments in early stage tech companies, primarily in the Midwest/Great Lakes region, New York, Austin and underserved markets. We focus on B2B SaaS, marketplaces and tech-enabled service companies, plus IoT and Consumer sectors opportunistically. Although we are generalist, we have core expertise around fintech, insuretech, regtech, proptech / real estate tech, healthcare and consumer. We pride ourselves on our investment track record, and being a strong investment partner that adds value to our portfolio companies and the broader ecosystem. We are expanding our team ahead of raising our second fund.
As a Senior Associate you will primarily be involved in sourcing, executing, monitoring and supporting new and follow-on investments. The role offers a broad exposure to venture capital investing and a high-level of responsibility.
Responsibilities will include:
- Conducting market research – to identify new investment trends and opportunities
- Sourcing – including attending events and online research
- Deal screening – reviewing pitch decks, initial calls/meetings, scoring opportunities
- Maintaining CRM and other internal databases
- Deal execution – all aspects of due diligence including but not limited to:
- Gathering information from company
- Market/Industry research including competitive analysis
- Financial due diligence
- Legal due diligence
- Assisting with technical due diligence
- Customer and other reference calls, producing call summary notes
- Background checks
- Financial modeling including cash flow projection and valuation
- Preparing internal investment memos
- Ongoing investment monitoring and reporting
- Working on select projects with portfolio companies
- Assisting with fundraising process
- Engaging with peers at other venture capital firms and within the broader startup ecosystem
We are looking for a high quality candidate with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic and track record of exceeding expectations – demonstrated entrepreneurial drive and creativity
- Fast learner, intellectually curious, independent thinker
- Able to use initiative and operate with limited supervision
- Strong research skills – ability to synthesize large amounts of and/or complex information
- Strong numerical and analytical skills, detail-oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Able to compile and communicate evidence-based investment theses
- Organized, yet flexible – ability to execute while navigating multiple competing deadlines. Comfortable working long hours under pressure from time-to-time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with entrepreneurs and the broader community – emotionally intelligent, empathetic, mature, confident, positive. Public speaking experience a bonus but not essential.
- Experience with financial modeling and valuation and advanced Excel functionality
- Ability to produce professional-looking Powerpoint presentations and Word documents
- Genuine passion for early stage venture capital, startups, entrepreneurship and/or technology with at least a basic understanding of core emerging technologies, venture capital terminology and considerations
As this is a high-intensity, mission-critical, execution-focused role we would prefer a candidate with the following academic background and work experience:
- Min 3.3 GPA with a Major in Finance, Economics, Business / Management, or Engineering / Computer Science preferred, but not essential – must have demonstrated outstanding achievement in other majors and have relevant work experience.
- 3-4+ years of buyside investment experience (venture capital, private equity, private credit/lending, public equities), or 5-6+ years of experience in investment banking or at a top-tier consulting firm, preferably with a technology focus
- Prior venture capital-related work experience or prior operating experience at a high-growth tech company is welcome, but not essential
- CFAs and/or MBAs welcome, but not essential
This role is a term position designed for a candidate seeking at least a 2-3 year experience with the expectation that the Senior Associate would then be promoted, join a top-tier business school, or pursue an operating role.
Competitive base salary + bonus. Potential for participation in carried interest after a period of time, subject to performance.