- The primary objective of the role is to contribute to the objective of the team to be the 2nd line Global Risk Control function for the US Asset Management Business.
- Amongst the more broad risk oversight and challenge responsibilities of the team, the role also involves the use and understanding of investment risk, liquidity risk and counterparty risk information as well as some of the risks associated with the use of derivatives.
- Participate in the developing of the tools for measuring investment and liquidity risks, including the stress testing of the same.
- The senior role differentiates from the Risk Analyst role by providing support and considered opinion to senior management, participation in the fund board meetings, lead work streams to comply with upcoming US / Global Regulatory proposals and lead discussions with-in the risk management committees and local governance forums on risks managed and facing the business
Impact on the Business:
- Ensure that AMUS’s market and investment risk metrics and analyses are fit for purpose and meet business and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that AMUS’s counterparty credit risk metrics are fit for purpose and meet business and regulatory requirements.
- To manage and assess the impact of Regulatory Changes on the AMUS Risk Function. This includes representing the AMUS Risk team at relevant project working groups in relation to regulatory/governance changes.
- Developing and implementing best practice methodologies and processes for evaluating wide variety of fixed income portfolio risks and liquidity.
- Analyze risk models used by the business and support the risk analysis of various investment strategies in use.
- Support the Chief Risk Officer heading up the AMUS Risk team by ensuring all functional documentation is up to date and reviewed.
- Recommend revised procedures to reduce risks and potential client compensation or regulatory sanctions.
- Interact with front office to review portfolio risk, exposures and provide analysis and respond to requests for information.
- Derive increased front office risk awareness through regular challenges and analytical assignment
Customers / Stakeholders:
- Heads of functions including but not limited to Risk, Compliance, Product, Operations and Investment team
- Product Working Groups Global Risk Team
- Support and provide risk capability presentations to clients and prospects
- Supports the relationship between AMG and its regulators
Leadership & Teamwork:
- Works effectively with Global Risk team and other Group Risk functions.
- Works effectively with AMUS local management.
- Supports AMUS to meet new requirements from Group or regulators.
Operational Effectiveness & Control:
- Support the Chief Risk Officer in monitoring the implementation of risk policies and thresholds in AMUS to ensure risks are consistent with the AMUS’s risk appetite.
- Ensures risk monitoring/oversight is effective
- The team overseesall risks across AMUSso is not just limited to investment and counterparty risk.
- Ensuring all regulatory (and internal) requirements are met
- Diversity and complexity of productsand business supported by different systems and business models
- Ensuring the systems used by Risk are up to date and continue to meet business and regulatory requirements
- Maintaining good working relationships with AMUSfunctional teamswhilst ensuring policies and standards are consistently applied in AMUS
- Providing technical assistancefor the AMUSRisk function
- With the breadth of the Risk Team’s remit and the limited resources available, the role requires strong organisation and influencing skills.
- The jobholder is expected to be well versed inwriting documentation for desk rules, functional instruction manuals, and interpreting regulatory requirements from a risk perspective.
- Close liaison is maintained with the AMG Global Riskteam, Compliance and other functionswithin AMUS.
- The jobholder is expected to work with a level of autonomy in theirtechnical area of expertise and provide clear judgment and directionin a variety of forums and formats.
- Role holder is expected to lead independent evaluation of quantitative and model risk with-in the suite of tools and systems used with-in AMUS.
Management of Risk:
Management of risk is an integral part of the role
Observation of Internal Controls:
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the job holder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
- Understand the Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) principles, HSBC Global Asset Management’s TCF philosophy and how this affects your role. Act in a manner that takes account of these principles to ensure fair outcomes for customers
- Minimum of fiveyears plus of experience in risk management
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, business, statistics or economics with exposure to math and econometrics; a Master’s degreeand/or CFA, FRM, PRM certificationis preferred.
- Good knowledge of the management of risks in an asset management business and of the evolving regulatory environment(US & Europe)and credit risk issues preferred
- Strong knowledge of Excel modelling as well as experience with risk management Models(e.g., Sungard APT, Bloomberg AIM).
- Work with IT and Infrastructure team to build processand technologies that support efficient operations, high quality data and ease of access to results
- Exposure and/or proficiency to other analytical tools such as R, Python, SQL, VBA etc., desirable
- Good influencing and decision making skills based on quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Ability to assess risk trends both internally and externally
- Self-starter who is proactive and entrepreneurial; i.e. innovative and creative
- Good communicator (oral and written) especially of technical issues to non-specialists
- Able to interact effectively at senior levels
- Forward looking and business orientated