- JD or equivalent degree.
- Admitted to the bar in which position is located and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g. have registered in-house status) in the state in which the position is located.
- 8 years of attorney level experience.
- 5 years of attorney level experience in copyright counseling, litigation and advisory work.
- 5 years of experience in an in-house counsel office.
- Experience in media, communications, intellectual property and contract law, as well as demonstrated litigation experience.
About the job
As Corporate Counsel at Google, you work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You’re part of a whip-smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative — ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. As an integrated part of the team, you proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
As a Product Counsel, you will be the legal oversight of YouTube’s important copyright programs, including YouTube’s DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) process and Content ID system. This includes collaborating with Google lawyers outside the U.S. on critical copyright matters, including litigation and regulatory work. You will also be responsible for providing legal advice across other areas of law, including privacy, content regulation and consumer protection, and you will support your colleagues in legal, government relations and public relations on a range of product matters.
20th century laws don’t always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for facing some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you’re a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with copyright, privacy, content regulation and consumer protection.
- Provide legal advice to teams from Engineering, Product Management, Advertising Sales, Marketing and Communications from the initial stages of product development to launch.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests from Engineering, Product Management, Advertising Sales, Marketing, Communications and other business groups.
- Legal oversight of YouTube’s copyright programs, including YouTube’s DMCA process and Content ID system.