Investment Management – Compliance Manager
5-10 years of Mutual Funds Compliance Experience
A highly regarded Investment Management firm headquartered in Chicago is looking for a Compliance Manager to join their Legal and Compliance Team which is responsible for creation and continual enhancement of the compliance programs for the firm.
The Compliance Manager has a wide-ranging scope of responsibilities including SEC regulatory filings for mutual fund and investment adviser, code of ethics administration and sub-adviser oversight. The Compliance Manager may have one or more direct reports and will share in the responsibility generally for mentoring all junior members of the team.
This is the ideal opportunity for a proactive self-starter who demonstrates drive for continuous improvement and pursuit of challenging goals with a positive can-do attitude and the ability to complete complex tasks in a team environment with exceptional interpersonal and consensus building skills. The ideal candidate will be intelligent and energetic; a conceptual thinker with the ability to quickly assess a situation and exercise sound business judgment.
Mutual Fund Administration
Participate in the preparation and production of the materials for the Firm’s shareholder reports and other periodic regulatory filings (Annual, Semi-Annual, N-Q, N-CSR, N-CEN), including any future filing requirements. This will involve significant hands-on work in preparing and updating drafts of the filings, including evaluating, responding to and incorporating, as appropriate, comments from internal and external parties (i.e., auditors, outside counsel, etc.) and preparing the filings for submission.
- Prepare drafts and manage the review process of Form ADV and maintenance of adviser registration
- Prepare drafts and manage the review process of Form TA-1 and maintenance of transfer agent registration
- Manage the review process for and file the Form PF
Proxy Voting Administration
- Participation in Proxy Voting Committee meetings and preparation of the minutes of the meetings
- Oversight of quarterly audit process
- Preparation and filing of Form N-PX
Maintain Affiliates List
- Monthly reviews of parent company organizational changes
- Coordination with U.S. affiliates on consistent disclosure between the respective parties’ Forms ADV
- Communications with sub-advisers regarding affiliations and restrictions
Code of Ethics Administration
- Oversee the maintenance/operation of the Protegent PTA system and any system upgrades
- Oversee the quarterly audit process
- Serve as a review officer
Sub-adviser Monitoring, Review and Oversight
- Substantively review the sub-advisers’ policy/procedure submissions, Form ADV updates and third party internal control reports. Follow-through with tracking log updating and flagging issues for broader group attention when appropriate.
- Perform cross monitoring and review of monthly, quarterly and annual sub-adviser materials
- Participate in sub-adviser due diligence visits as requested and prepare compliance reports of those visits
Advertising and Forms Review
- Review, monitoring and auditing of content posted to website, including advertising, tax and retirement materials
- Review of templated shareholder correspondence and forms
- Review of retail materials to ensure compliance with FINRA requirements and filing of materials with FINRA via the CRD system
Policies and Procedures
- Assist in annual review and updating of policies and procedures
- Draft new policies and procedures as requested
- Develop and perform forensic testing of various compliance related functions
- Research and maintain matrices of record keeping requirements
- Strong academic credentials. Bachelor’s Degree or higher required
- Five to Ten (5-10) years of experience as a compliance professional or 1940 Act mutual fund paralegal (or similar position) in a financial services firm or law firm. Experience in a manager-of-managers structure is a plus.
- Prior experience in the mutual fund industry and strong knowledge of the regulations that govern its activities, including the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required; must be able to interact with senior business professionals and address issues in a thoughtful and timely manner and to interact and provide mentorship to junior business professionals
- Ability to shift focus dependent upon the need of the department; work under pressure and prioritize competing tasks that require the highest level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage diverse and complex projects with multiple internal and external parties, according to timelines that the candidate will create and monitor; therefore, strong project and time management skills are a must
- Committed to maintaining the highest ethical standards
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and skilled generally with learning and administering technological applications
Please email resumes to Heather Johnson at Heather@ComplianceSearch.com