We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Internal Audit Department (IAD) of The Charles Schwab Corporation provides independent and objective assessments to determine whether all significant risks are identified and appropriately reported by management and risk functions to the Board and Executive Management, to evaluate whether risks are adequately controlled, and to challenge Executive Management to improve the effectiveness of governance processes, risk management, and internal controls.
The Broker-Dealer/Asset Management enterprise team is seeking a Senior Specialist. The Broker-Dealer/Asset Management team provides internal audit coverage of the business process activities and compliance functions for Schwab’s registered domestic and international broker-dealers and registered retail and institutional investment advisors. The team’s scope includes audit execution and oversight for Schwab’s: (i) client-facing activities supporting retail investors and independent investment advisors on Schwab’s platform and their clients; (ii) client product solutions and market expertise; (iii) portfolio advisory services and research; (iv) asset management functions; (v) corporate client services, including stock plan services, retirement plan services, and compliance and employee trade monitoring solutions; and (vi) middle and back office operational functions.
Reporting to a Managing Director in the Broker-Dealer/Asset Management enterprise team, the Senior Specialist will have responsibility for assisting in the for the independent and objective assurance activity designed to improve the organization’s operations and compliance with key regulations by evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
What you’ll do:
- Audit Execution: Participate in the planning and execution of internal audit assignments, ensuring work is performed in accordance with IIA standards and IAD policies and procedures. Responsibilities will include: scheduling and participation in audit meetings; participation in scoping discussions; drafting of audit deliverables; design and execution of testing; and completion and review of work papers. Additionally, assist in the tracking of team operations including audit status, issue status, and budgets.
- Issues Identification: Based on the results of audit testing, identify and draft audit observations for review by the Internal Audit Manager/Senior Manager (and above levels) and subsequent debriefing with the key stakeholders (typically VP-level and below).
- Issue Management and Validation: Conduct validation testing of the audit issue action plans completed by the business.
- Risk Assessment: Under the supervision of IAD Management, participate in the annual Risk Assessment process, including scheduling and participation in meetings with stakeholders, and the scoring and documentation of risk ratings.
- Coaching: Provide support, coaching, and feedback to audit team members throughout the audit. Provide assistance with onboarding and ongoing support to new team members.
- Administration/Training: Completion of firm-wide and departmental administration and training requirements.
- Other Initiatives/Special Projects: As needed, assist with special projects related to business process improvement or internal team needs.
What you have:
- 3 – 5+ years of financial services-related audit experience with increasing responsibility. Broker Dealer/Asset Management experience specific to internal audit and/or similar Big 4 accounting or regulatory experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience performing internal audits amongst a complex operational and regulatory environment.
- Ability to work as a member of a project team and cultivate a strong working relationship with external co-sourcing providers and internal lines of businesses.
- CPA, CIA, CISA strongly preferred. Other applicable financial services and/or risk management certifications considered.
- Understanding of risks and internal controls and the ability to evaluate and determine the adequacy and effectiveness of controls.
- Stays current on industry and regulatory issues and best practices for AML; imparts this knowledge to the team and the auditees.
- Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to anticipate issues and to design appropriate solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to articulate effectively and professionally.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to travel 15-20%
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab’s hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
|Languages:||English – spoken|
|Current Licenses / Certifications:||Certified Internal Auditor – CIA, Certified Public Accountant – CPA|
|Relevant Work Experience:||Regulatory, Risk Analysis, Internal Audit, Compliance, Financial Services-2-5 yrs, Accounting and Finance-2-5 yrs|
|Position Located In:||IL – Chicago, TX – Westlake, AZ – Phoenix|
|Job Type:||Full Time|