This position will be responsible for the development of City National Corporation’s (CNC’s) Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program, as prescribed by CNC’s Risk Council. Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to): ERM architecture development and assessment; managing specific ERM integration steps and processes; identifying and developing enterprise-wide risk analytics and controls; implementing ERM-related policies, procedures and projects; serving in a team leadership capacity supporting three ERM working groups (e.g. strategy, controls, and business unit implementation); and facilitate the implementation and integration of risk management principles at all levels of the organization using COSO, SOX-404, COBIT, and related tools. Manages the Model Risk Management and Vendor Risk Management programs. Performs other duties as required. The role also provides a key leadership opportunity that includes provision of expertise, advice and counsel to executives and senior management with a particular focus on supporting and advising on the implementation of risk management programs and practices to ensure these align with Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and regulatory requirements. The role includes enhancing the businesses ability to anticipate and manage operational risks effectively. This involves supporting the 2nd Line of Defense governance model.
- Actively challenge to ensure that the risk profile is balanced, comprehensive and transparent
- Report operational risk profiles, analysis and exposures to the Executives and Senior Management on a regular basis. Reporting should include existing and emerging areas of risk, implications for operational risk appetite, and the ability of the risk management and control infrastructure to support business activities.
- Authority to request the business to conduct certain activities related to the operational risk programs including new or revised assessments, reviews of risk appetite.
- Assist in the development and execution of an implementation plan to bring City National into line with the Basel III framework including the various programs and establishment roles and responsibilities as aligned to the 3 Lines of Defense governance model.
- Participate in the steering committee or associated governance/review activities on key business initiatives ensuring that existing and emerging risks for new products, processes and transformational initiatives are identified. This also includes the annual business strategy review process and assessments.
- Develops and assesses CNB’s Enterprise Risk Management architecture and facilitates the implementation and integration of risk management principles at all levels of the organization using COSO, SOX-404, and related tools.
- Develops and refines strategic plan for the department that includes a mission, vision, business strategies, and relevant metrics to measure the performance of the department and manages specific ERM integration steps and processes.
- Leads and manages the Model Risk Management and Vendor Management programs. Evaluates internal process improvement initiatives within the company to support best-in-class continuous improvement strategies, enhance individual and divisional productivity, and enhance the quality of services and deliverables.
- Leads and manages assigned human resources by keeping up with best practices within the financial services industry, recommending appropriate training to maintain quality performance, and assisting in cross-training staff to minimize critical person dependencies.
- Partners and collaborates with CNB’s line of business groups in delivering value through best-in-class risk management and future-state control advisory services by identifying risks within the corporation, recommending efficient and effective processes for managing these risks, formulating and executing annual risk plans, efficiently deploying human resources, and reviewing work to ensure quality of deliverables and timeliness of service.
- Partners and collaborates with internal teams to deliver best-in-class risk analysis and future-state control advisory services by integrating operational, credit, market, and business risk review/consulting processes with credit, market, and technology processes and by providing input into the development and implementation of automated solutions to enhance productivity.
- Markets ERM with colleagues throughout CNC to facilitate the implementation and integration of risk management principles at all levels within the organization and to external parties (regulators, peers, and accounting firms) by acting as an internal advisor/partner to CNC business units regarding risk management matters (e.g. established controls, work flows, best practices, and industry developments), providing guidance in areas that require further development and/or enhancements, developing effective communication materials, and formally presenting CNB’s procedures and processes at appropriate internal and external events.
- Manages vendors when utilized to assist in ERM engagements by developing clear specifications for desired services, ensuring appropriate delivery of services, and meeting budgetary limits.
- Maintains awareness of the current regulatory/industry trends impacting the Bank’s risk management principles, policies and procedures.
- Complies fully with all Bank Operational and Credit policies and procedures as well as all regulatory requirements (e.g. Bank Secrecy Act, Know Your Client, Community Reinvestment Act, Fair Lending Practices, Code of Conduct, etc.).
- Completes all required training and special projects as requested.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the financial services sector
- Minimum 10 years of experience in auditing/consulting/operation experience
- Minimum 5 years of management experience
- Graduate degree in business or related discipline and/or MBA, CA, or other professional related qualification
- Strong leadership skills
- Solid people management experience
- Solid understanding of risk management
- Strategic mindset
- Highly developed ability for conceptual thinking
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Well developed impact and influence skills
- Proven track record of building strong relationships across business functions