Reporting to the Regional Vice President, New York, the Director, Trading will be responsible for working with the Senior Director of Origination and the Senior Director of Regulatory Affairs to maximize the generation revenues by minimizing the impact of operational constraints and capturing the flexibility of the assets within the generation and transmission portfolio in the New York market. The Director of Trading will oversee trading activities within the New York Market while supervising, training and managing a team of a Senior Trader, a Short Term Trader and a Scheduler.
- Collaborate with senior management, operations and the power trading team to develop and execute optimization strategies;
- Focus efforts on achieving high quality results with the organization’s standards;
- Develop, oversee, and support various power marketing growth strategies for the New York market;
- Collaborate with the other regional Directors of Origination in analyzing and implementing cross regional trade strategies to maximize Brookfield’s asset value;
- Work with Commercial and Industrial (C&I) Origination team to develop and execute on an outreach plan aimed at contracting Brookfield’s US based assets with targeted C&I electric customers;
- Analyze external data sources to identify, analyze and assess impacts from electric market structural changes throughout North America;
- Collaborate with other regional Directors of Regulatory Affairs to follow and influence favorable market regulations for the organization;
- Monitor the North American markets and take advantage of arbitrage opportunities between markets;
- Oversee trading and hedging strategies for physical and financial energy and related products in NYISO;
- Oversee the Day-Ahead Bidding and Trading Strategy for generation assets, capacity, ancillaries & transmission positions;
- Monitor the physical/financial markets and maintain an acute understanding of market/price trends;
- Monitor transmission availability and maintain an acute understanding of transmission systems;
- Maintain up to date understanding of market rules.
- Collaborate with the Risk and compliance Groups to and adhere to policies, principles, procedures and execute training to minimize non-compliance and production risks in operations;
- Strong team player with solid analytical skills with strong attention to detail;
- Ability to make decisions involving varied levels of risk and ambiguity;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Well organized and ability to synthesize and conceptualize complex ideas;
- Self-motivated with demonstrated initiative;
- Heightened interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Able to meet multiple objectives in a dynamic, fast-paced, team environment.
- Undergraduate/Graduate degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Engineering or Mathematics;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant and progressive work experience in leadership roles;
- Knowledge of energy contracts and energy hedge products to develop trading strategies for risk mitigation;
- Demonstrated asset optimization experience in the power markets; experience in the New York Power market is preferred;
- Experience working for an energy company or an energy trading company is preferred;
- Understanding of power markets and commercial forecasting models; ability to interpret the impacts of load, weather, prices, basis, shapes, and system reliability on the output of said models;
- Working knowledge of the market risks particular to renewable generation;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel;
- Working knowledge of OASIS transmission reservations systems, OATI tagging systems and ISO scheduling systems is an asset.