The Director of Risk Management is responsible for strategic development and enhancement of the enterprise-wide risk monitoring process and corporate governance. This individual will propose policy enhancements, execute process improvements, and ensure fiduciary excellence and compliance of all state banking and federal securities laws.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop and execute the structure necessary to ensure that all policies, procedures, and applicable regulations including banking, fiduciary, and investment management regulations, are being met.
- To include such items as: internal/external audit, compliance, loss prevention, brand risk management, incident response, vendor management and business continuity.
- Establish environment of proper balance between risk appetite and risk mitigation, in the context of our overall business strategy, combining strong fiduciary excellence with financial performance.
- Protect the firm’s assets and minimize exposure to losses by identifying and managing reputational and emerging risks.
- Establish a culture of informed risk-taking through training and communication within the risk framework.
- In conjunction with the Executive Council and Executive Leadership Team, instill a risk culture in all areas of the firm to manage risk to the firm, team members, clients, reputation, assets and interests of stakeholders.
- Provide strong leadership and vision to achieve team and firm goals and objectives and generate a creative, high-performing, and collaborative work environment that reflects and advances our firm’s culture, values and business objectives
- Identify areas of, and develop reporting mechanisms for, non-compliance, corporate risk, and repeated exceptions. Ensure monitoring and reporting for proper communication to Trust Committee, Executive Council, Executive Leadership Team and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Develop quantifiable metrics for measuring and monitoring key operational, firm and investment risks. Ensure practical assessment of all monitoring tools to ensure viability and accuracy.
- Act as subject matter expert leveraging knowledge to assess risks across the entity.
- Serve as a point of escalation for key or time sensitive issues. Develop scope and execute annual audit plan, coordinating all aspects of audit plan with external auditors and internal divisions/teams.
- Partner closely with Business Information Services division to ensure strong coordination on systems security, vendor management, disaster recovery, procedures, and audit items.
- Partner with all divisions to ensure positioning for continued growth of the firm, to include diligence of potential acquisition targets.
- Develop training and development sessions for individuals or teams where appropriate to further competencies with respect to policies and procedures. Utilize Enterprise Risk Management (ERP) principles for guidance in education to teams.
- Responsible for maintaining close contact with the DIFS (Department of Insurance and Financial Services) and other regulatory entities to ensure that directed policy or rule changes are adopted in our policy and procedures with appropriate education to the Executive Leadership Team and all other appropriate team members.
- Act as a legal representative, or liaison, to ensure proper review and legal cost / engagement optimization.
- Develop and serve as internal expert on bank trust powers and the regulatory limits of our capacity.
- Stays abreast of risk management industry trends by leading and/or attending seminars, training sessions, and workshops, as necessary to develop and ensure success of the Greenleaf Trust enterprise risk program.
- Meet no less than monthly with the COO and/or President to review enterprise wide compliance performance and report challenges, successes and corrective actions that are in place.
- Lead, direct, mentor and coach with responsibilities in governance, risk and compliance.
- Active member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
What You Need for this Position:
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 15 years combined experience in leadership in a regulatory environment
- Trust Operations and/or Securities Operations preferred
- Regulatory audit procedures
- Trust administration