Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. We connect users to the streaming content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers. Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models are available around the world through direct retail sales and licensing arrangements with TV brands and pay TV operators.
The Role and Responsibilities
Roku, Inc. is seeking an experienced and self-motivated attorney to join its legal team. This position will provide strategic product counseling and compliance advice to support Roku’s products and services (including those related to billing and payments) from the initial stages of design and development through launch and implementation. In this role, you will:
- Provide guidance on a wide range of legal issues, including consumer protection, privacy and data protection laws and regulations, to ensure that Roku follows applicable U.S. and international legal and regulatory requirements, as well as industry best practices, through the application of privacy-by-design principles.
- Advise on legal and regulatory issues in connection with the development and deployment of cross-border billing services and payments related systems and technologies, including:
- Reviewing product designs and user experience to ensure compliance;
- Draft disclosures and other user-facing language for billing and payments;
- Assist in the development of a regulatory strategy for billing and payments across multiple jurisdictions; and
- Collaborate with the billing and payments team to develop systems and methods to achieve business objectives in compliance with applicable laws.
- Structure, draft and negotiate agreements that support Roku’s billing and payments related systems and technologies, including card network, card issuer and merchant agreements, and payment processing and related services agreements.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with a wide variety of Roku business units, including the engineering, billing, finance, tax and customer support teams.
- Work closely with other members of the legal team to address the company’s broader data collection, use and transfer practices.
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in the laws, regulations and industry trends applicable to billing and payments related activities, Big Data, IOT and smart devices, including federal and state consumer financial laws and regulations, data privacy laws, consumer protection laws, and other guidance from relevant agencies.
The successful candidate must be familiar with billing and payments related matters, including systems and technologies utilized by other industry participants in connection with these activities, and must have a good, general understanding of Internet technology and cloud computing technology, strong product counseling skills, prior experience implementing of privacy-by-design principles, keen analytical abilities and excellent judgment, a pragmatic approach to problem solving, and the ability to make smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information. This is an amazing opportunity to play a key role in supporting the company’s rapid growth.
Specific background should include:
- At least 10 years of legal experience, with a significant portion of it working in a product counseling role for a consumer-facing technology company.
- Significant experience advising on data privacy, data protection and the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology space.
- Demonstrated understanding of the billing and payments ecosystem, fintech, and the legal principles applicable to these areas, including the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), regulatory implications, and consumer protection laws.
- A passion for technology and ability to understand complex technology and product use cases quickly.
- Bachelor’s degree and a Juris Doctorate degree from a U.S. accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of California.
- Strong preference for academic degree in a STEM discipline, particularly in software or computer engineering.
Characteristics of success at Roku
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
- Ability to adjust plan and react as needed