The ideal Director, Associate General Counsel is experienced, motivated, inquisitive, enthusiastic about retail and committed to providing outstanding service every day. This role will support, lead, and direct the commercial legal team advising on a broad range of legal issues in support of Nordstrom’s online, physical and omni-channel retail operations and subsidiaries, including technology, strategic operations, marketing, product management, supplier and service related contracts, intellectual property and regulatory compliance.
A day in the life…
- Support, lead and direct the Commercial Legal team, fostering team members’ learning and development, facilitating workflow management, and enhancing department vision and strategies to support company goals.
- Advise and assist various business teams within the company on a broad range of legal issues in support of their business initiatives, including review, negotiation and drafting of contracts and policies; and advising on a variety of legal issues including technology and marketing support
- Structure, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including brand and technology licenses, usage agreements, vendor and co-branded initiatives, data sharing agreements, etc.
- Lead larger impact projects both within the department and across the company, including the development of legal processes or templates to increase efficiencies and better serve clients.
- Complete special projects by clarifying plans and objective of the business, harmonizing those plans with legal requirements and principles, and ensuring timely delivery
- Assist in enhancing department vision and strategies to support company goals
- Develop, revise, evolve and execute business policies, processes and practices to support Company goals and comply with legal requirements
- Partner with management and other business leaders to anticipate future business changes and challenges and proactively support, develop and implement new and revised plans.
- Collaborate with peers and leaders in legal department and other business units and departments to ensure project outcomes align with priorities and direction
You own this if you have…
- J.D. with a license to practice law in any U.S. jurisdiction
- Minimum of 10 years legal experience handling contracts, marketing, technology, intellectual property and business transaction legal support related to retail industry required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in management and leadership roles with progressively larger responsibility; with the ability to foster a team approach as well as develop talent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research, analytical, and contract drafting skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and establish working relationships with colleagues and clients
- Proficiency in time-management with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Time Off
- Merchandise Discount
- Lifework / EAP resources