At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft is hiring a Counsel, Healthcare Regulatory Compliance to join its expanding Compliance team on Legal. Do you have a background in healthcare, Medicaid and Medicare law, and want to use that expertise to advise a fast-growing business on complex regulatory issues? Are you creative and like to think on your feet? Do you want to help change the transportation industry? If so, then this role is for you.
You will be responsible for developing a deep understanding of Lyft’s regulatory obligations in various markets as they relate to non-emergency medical transportation, and providing the necessary guidance throughout the organization to implement those regulations. You will negotiate directly with regulators to get favorable regulations in place that reflect Lyft’s business objectives. You will also manage Lyft’s ongoing HIPAA obligations. This role will report to the Director, Legal & Regulatory.
- Interpret and analyze regulations and laws from state Medicaid agencies, federal & state health & human services agencies, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services that govern Lyft’s operations in this space
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on implementing those laws, working closely with the product, communications, sales and operations teams
- Work closely with regulators in various jurisdictions to negotiate for favorable regulations that support the company’s business objectives, maintaining ongoing positive relationship with regulators
- Manage ongoing HIPAA obligations and compliance
- Work closely with legal and government relations to draft correspondence, comments, and position papers touching upon Lyft compliance matters
- Administer licensure and application processes
- Meet corporate compliance objectives by forecasting requirements, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions
- Work closely with legal and government relations to recommend public policy strategies and operational impacts
- Keep management, operational, and marketing stakeholders informed of compliance issues
Experience & Skills
- 6+ years of legal and compliance experience focusing on healthcare law at a mid to large size law firm, government regulatory entity or in-house at a healthcare provider or health insurance agency, with a J.D. from a top law school
- Experience working with regulators and/or working at a start-up is not required, but preferred
- Outstanding writing, research, negotiating, and interpersonal skills; strong oral advocacy and presentation skills
- Experience advising compliance requirements for a fast growing business on healthcare-related regulatory issues and putting systems into place to meet those requirements
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally and with upper management to achieve compliance in a way that is reasonable with business objectives
- An understanding of the transportation industry, ridesharing, payments, or other fast-growing newly regulated industry