At Medium, words matter. We’re building the best place for reading and writing on the internet — where thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas that are judged for the value they provide to readers, not attention they attract for advertisers.
We’re looking for a lawyer to work with a range of teams across the company (including product, engineering, partnerships, finance, people ops, and trust & safety) and take on increasing responsibility as we grow.
We’re proud of our product, our team, and our culture. Our website and mobile apps are accessed by millions of users each day. Our mission is to move thinking forward by providing a place where people and publishers can share stories and perspectives.
What will you do?
- Give legal advice to teams including Product, Engineering, Content, Partnerships, Finance, People Ops, Marketing, and Communications. This involves understanding ever-evolving product details, researching the law, and collaborating with colleagues.
- Work on general corporate housekeeping in legal areas like governance, employment, commercial contracts, real estate, and others.
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts, including non-disclosure agreements, intellectual property licenses, and professional services agreements.
- Respond to legal requests from users and third-parties, help oversee litigation.
- Create internal templates, playbooks, and processes.
- Work with the Trust & Safety team on escalations and policy related to content moderation.
Who you are
- You’re practical, resilient, low ego.
- You have experience with some of following substantive legal areas, and interest in learning the others: intellectual property and media law, privacy, employment, commercial agreements, general corporate.
- You take initiative, work independently, make decisions based on incomplete information, own the results, and figure out how to do better next time.
- You’re fascinated with internet products, policy, and online expression.
- You care about communicating clearly and want everything you write to be lucid and approachable.
- You think about the biggest possible picture, and embrace thinking through the broad social implications of our product choices.
- You’re admitted to practice law in at least one state and have 3+ years of relevant legal experience.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.