The asset management division of a diversified financial services firm seeks a Compliance executive for one of their specialty divisions. This alternative investments unit focuses on Real Estate.
The company seeks a senior compliance professional knowledgeable in alternative asset classes, private funds and investment advisory issues to assist its Global Head of Compliance in overseeing a full range of compliance matters. This group, in business for about 50 years, has in excess of $160 billion under management, with offices worldwide.
The candidate will report to the Head of Compliance for this group. This position has significant visibility with senior management and direct interaction with global portfolio management, distribution and operations.
The Compliance VP will assist the Global Head of Compliance in discharging the firm’s overall compliance program with particular focus on the Americas businesses, including its operations in the United States and Latin America. The position is supported by eight US-based associates and two Mexico-based associates. The position requires a candidate with strong management skills and an ability to develop relationships, sometimes from afar, with staff and senior business executives in the region. This position will also be expected to act as backup to the Real Estate Global Head of Compliance in interfacing with senior business managers in the Americas; participation in governance committee; and, representing the unit in matters relating to non-US regions, when the CCO is not available or as resource constraints dictate.
The incumbent will be expected to be thoroughly knowledgeable about Real Estate and Real Estate Finance Compliance Programs and to assist in leading and developing both junior and seasoned members of the compliance team. Candidates must possess a deep understanding of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and other related federal securities laws such as ERISA, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The incumbent will be expected to provide strategic direction to the unit’s activities as well as engage in direct compliance support of Real Estate product initiatives and other activities. The individual will be expected to establish a significant presence in the area of real estate asset management compliance through participation on industry working groups and other activities. The role has responsibility for compliance monitoring, support of marketing activities, compliance training, creating and implementing new policies and procedures, and forensic testing. In addition, the position will assist in monitoring business activities to ensure they are performed in compliance with Company policy, securities laws, and SEC, FINRA, state insurance and applicable foreign regulations. The incumbent will play a key management role within the Compliance organization and assist the Global Head of Compliance in the overall activities of the unit.
The position will also support the broader Compliance organization with cross-business initiatives and compliance projects across other global business units in collaboration with their chief compliance officers. The incumbent will lead multiple projects that strengthen and maintain compliance activities within Real Estate and more broadly across the organization. The incumbent will also partner with the Law Department on a regular basis to analyze changes to regulatory requirements and proactively manage regulatory developments and changes.
- Promote, protect and set the tone to reflect the Company’s reputation for ethics, integrity and honesty in all dealings.
- Position requires periodic travel to the numerous US offices, but primarily Atlanta, Arlington, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco; as well as to Latin America, primarily Mexico City.
- Position requires the ability to manage a local team as well as individuals in remote locations.
- Assist the Real Estate Global Head of Compliance with matters such as new product development, risk governance committees, compliance metrics; and, act in the support of matters involving the non-Americas businesses where necessary.
- The development and continued fostering of relationships with all levels of Real Estate management, particularly those in the Americas, to ensure that appropriate regulatory processes and controls are established and documented within the areas of responsibility.
- Monitor the effectiveness of established compliance processes and controls and recommend and implement enhancements.
- Assist management with identifying and resolving regulatory issues both within the business unit and across multiple business units.
- Assist regulators, auditors and business unit management with regulatory exams and inquiries.
- Develop and effectively administer a compliance monitoring program including, but not limited to, portfolio reviews, anti-money laundering, client documentation, gift and entertainment reporting, FCPA reporting, new account reviews, etc.
- Develop, organize, and deliver consistent compliance related training, and reinforce all compliance-related communications.
- Assist in coordinating global compliance activity in all Real Estate offices.
- Professional working proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred. JD, MBA, advanced degree or other relevant professional designation preferred.
- Deep understanding of Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940; other federal securities laws and rules thereunder; ERISA, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Ten plus years of compliance experience, primarily in an investment management organization, Real Estate experience and/or experience in alternative asset classes.
- Experience in managing staff and business constituents remotely.
- Experience with Anti-Money Laundering, Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act requirements and analogous laws in Latin America.
- Experience with Reg AB and Fannie/Freddie originations & underwriting guidelines; Mortgage Servicing Rights (MSR’s); rating agencies (S&P, Fitch, Morningstar) mortgage servicing requirements.
- Proven communication, analytical and project management skills.
- Strong relationship management and leadership skills are desired, including experience and ability in dealing with senior management.
- Ability to reach sound judgments and act quickly under tight deadlines.
- Experience in managing and leading a team.
Please email resumes to Jack Kelly at Jack@ComplianceSearch.com