Metropolitan Commercial Bank, the Entrepreneurial Bank, has an exciting opportunity for a Chief Credit Officer who will thrive in our dynamic, growing bank.
We are a NYC based organization with a 20-year history of delivering excellence and value to our clients. Listed on the NYSE under the symbol MCB, we are known for high-touch service and strong business relationships with our clients. We combine the relationship-based focus of a community bank with an extensive suite of financial products and services that matches our largest rivals.
We are seeking a highly motivated and energetic individual who possesses a strong background in credit management (10 – 15 years) along with business knowledge and an ability to think strategically. If selected, you will join a seasoned team of Lenders and supervise a Credit Team of 13 professionals. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
The general objective of this position is to manage and coordinate efforts to mitigate credit risk on an enterprise-wide basis through the establishment, maintenance, enforcement, and oversight of all credit policies. Additional key components of this role are to continually improve asset quality by pro-actively promoting and directing the current credit risk culture and practices of the Bank; and to identify, quantify, report, and respond to risk elements of the lending function.
The CCO will also be responsible for providing strategic direction and guidance to senior management to ensure the Bank is appropriately monitoring and managing the level of credit risk in its loan portfolio and that it remains in full compliance with all banking laws, regulations, and internal policies and procedures. The CCO has ultimate responsibility for the Credit risk management process of the Bank to ensure that its business portfolios are managed in a fully compliant manner, consistent with prudent lending practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversees all aspects of the credit administration function including credit policy, appraisal services, collections, and special assets;
• Reviews all credit proposals to access the underlying credit risks;
• Manages Classified Loan portfolio: oversees loan workouts, TDRs, and asset recovery efforts;
• Develops, recommends, and monitors credit policies and procedures to assure regulatory compliance;
• Develops and communicates credit risk analysis techniques;
• Oversees the implementation of – or changes to – credit procedures and credit scoring model (where applicable);
• Maintains and updates Credit Risk Manual as appropriate;
• Ensures timely communication of policy, procedures, and guidelines to lending personnel;
• Works with relationship managers to resolve problem credits;
• Assists the Accounting/Finance Department on credit related accounting, call report, and loan loss-related issues.
• Serves as member of the Bank’s Asset Liability Committee;
• Chairs Loan Review Committee: acts as liaison with Board of Directors and its Audit Committee in matters related to loan quality and portfolio risk evaluation;
• Represents the Credit Administration Department in the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) process.
• Participates in various cross-functional committees/teams as assigned;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
o Works closely with Credit Analysts, Loan/Credit Administration staff, Compliance Officer, Operations Risk Manager, as well as the CFO and CEO in balancing the Bank’s strategic initiatives in the context of applicable credit risk considerations;
o Interaction with Credit Committee and Audit Committee of the Board.
o Interfaces with regulators, supervisory agencies, and external auditors on all credit related matters;
o Periodic customer contact.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
• Experience: 10 – 15 years commercial banking, commercial real estate and commercial experience (C&I), as well as credit administration experience;
• Specific Skills: excellent communication/presentation skills, negotiation, and interpersonal skills; skilled at matrix management;
• Specialized Knowledge: full knowledge of current banking regulations with regard to credit risk; general knowledge of all areas of banking operations, bank finance and accounting; specific industry knowledge in areas of risk management;
• Understanding of CECL;
• Problem Solving/Analytical skills.
College degree or equivalent work experience.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE FOR THIS JOB:
• Direct experience in loan origination.
• Strong problem-solving and lateral management skills.
• Master’s degree in a relevant field.
Supervises the credit administration and loan portfolio administration functions (Currently 13 credit professionals). Exercises the usual authority of a manager concerning performance improvement plans and reviews, promotions, salary recommendations and terminations. Coaches, develops and inspires staff to maximize their potential.