The Ideal Candidate
The Chief Accounting Officer at Genesco is responsible for all aspects of our accounting function, planning and directing ledger accounts as well as internal and external consolidated financial statements. You must be results-driven and action oriented as you will establish and maintain accounting practices to ensure accurate and reliable data as necessary for business operations. A successful candidate will possess strong leadership competencies, the ability to deal with complex accounting issues and excellent communication skills to work with all levels of management and multiple business units to make recommendations for improvements.
How You Will Make an Impact
- Demonstrates knowledge of a broad set of accounting principles and financial analysis.
- Interprets relevant laws and regulations to ensure organizational compliance.
- Ensures sufficient internal control measures by establishing or upgrading control policies by working with the operating divisions CFO’s and accounting teams.
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements leads SOX compliance efforts and chairs the SOX Steering Committee.
- Provides thought leadership on optimal financial statement presentation to drive business performance improvement.
- Oversees the Disclosure Committee and reports findings to the Audit Committee.
- Possesses knowledge of tax related financial accounting requirements to ensure the adequacy of quarterly and annual tax provisions.
- Participates in the monthly business review meeting and coordinates review and reporting of operating results and management’s questions to the operating divisions.
- Drives business performance improvement using finance/accounting insight.
- Oversees the adoption of new accounting principles and is able to explain the impact to executive management and the Audit Committee.
- Ensures internal and external financial statements are compliant with US GAAP accounting principles and SEC requirements and ensures the disclosure procedures and controls are maintained in such a way that the financial statements can be relied upon.
- Oversees the preparation of statutory financial statements under statutory financial reporting requirements.
- Leadership and development of personnel working in the corporate accounting function.
- Liaises with external auditors in conjunction with SEC financial reporting requirements.
- Acts as an advisor to executive management and the operating divisions to help decide the financial consequences of different courses of action.
- Acts as a thought-partner for EVA incentive program, executes EVA and drives re-calibration exercise.
- Oversees the design and execution of effective and efficient accounting department processes taking advantage of technology and automation to drive efficiencies.
- Interacts with functional leaders across the organization and multiple business units, including IT, legal and operations functions to ensure accurate, timely financial reporting and compliance with SOX control reporting requirements.
Experience and Skills You’ll Need to Have
- Master’s degree preferred
- 10 to 15 years of relevant accounting experience
- Big 4 and public company experience
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP accounting with a strong background in external reporting under SEC requirements
- Proficient computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and Power Point)