This role is responsible for the development and implementation of the overall risk strategy and compliance by providing people risk insight and operational risk control for the business unit. This position will partner with the second line of defense (ERM, ORM, Compliance, etc.) to ensure that all practices and services are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations domestically and internationally. This person is also responsible for building the culture of a well-managed organization in line with guidance from ERM and ORM. Responsibilities include execution and management of business line procedures, business unit training program; execution of a robust controls testing program; and risk identification and remediation program for self-identified, internal and external issues in keeping with corporate tools and methodologies..
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partner with internal compliance, Internal Audit, legal, IT, payroll, and other process owners to identify risks, maintain compliance standards, and mitigate risks domestically and internationally
- Provide expert support and advice to the business on risk identification and issue management
- Lead the facilitation of risk assessments as directed by the second line of defense
- Support process and control owners
- Identify/provide tools to guide maintenance of controls
- Proactively develop compliance and operational processes
- Manage master project schedule related to business unit audits, reporting, findings/recommendations, corrective actions, and changes. When necessary, liaise between the business unit and auditors or examiners
- Work with managers across all business unit functions to resolve risk issues as appropriate
- Facilitate cross functional teams, facilitate project meetings, develop and maintain project plans and manage/support solution implementations
- Manage audit process, including coordinating with business unit team members, external auditors, consultants and the internal compliance / Audit team
- Ensure risk issues and corresponding action items are effectively remediated and evidenced.
- Work closely with Operational Risk personnel on both the Risk Assessments and Risk Issues
- Work with systems team to ensure data integrity, maintain compliance with federal/state and international requirements. Report accurate and timely information as it relates to compliance and risk responsibilities.
- Partners with Director, Policy and Projects to manage processes to maintain business unit policies in compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations
- Coordinate and support process/control owners in maintenance of required compliance documentation as well as internal control practices.
- Conduct risk management/compliance training as needed
- Manage and/or support other special projects, initiatives, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree desirable) with a minimum of 10 years of relevant risk management experience
- The ideal candidate will have direct experience working in a first or second line risk role within a financial institution, or consulting experience advising financial institutions on the implementation of effective Risk Management programs
- Working knowledge of banking regulations within risk management and bank-capital related disciplines.
- Strong expertise with MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio as well as Adobe. Expertise with Tableau and experience with GRC tools a plus.
- Dedicated team player.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated project management, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to collaborate, negotiate, influence and build consensus across the organization.