The role is responsible for assisting in the development of HSBC North America Holdings (HNAH) capital planning process and the preparation of the annual capital plan submission to the Federal Reserve Board (FRB) and the Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC).
Impact on the Business
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of capital plans for HNAH, HUSI and HBUS.
- Responsible for assisting in the ongoing update and monitoring of the capital position of HNAH, HUSI and HBUS and ensure the implementation of capital management within HNAH is in line with all current and new regulatory rules and aligned with Group and regional strategy.
- Participation in the preparation and review of documentation and reports for the key HNAH governance committees for capital management and stress testing.
- Responsible for building and maintaining a detailed understanding and ongoing review of all US and global regulatory rules and to assist in the impact assessment for HNAH and its subsidiaries.
- Preparation of components of the annual capital plan submission for CCAR/DFAST.
- Preparation of components of the mid-year DFAST and Group PRA stress testing and capital plans.
- Preparation of capital planning information for the internal annual operating plan, periodic updates and other strategic analysis.
- Active participation in the wider capital planning and stress testing process, including HNAH capital contingency and recovery planning work as necessary
- Provide engagement and advisory support to the front office and business finance teams on capital planning matters.
- Participation in reviews and assessments of transactions and wider strategic considerations.
- Participation in capital transactions, including capital debt issuance.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Required to work and liaise closely, with the wider Finance function, Risk and other internal functions.
- Coordination between the global functions and businesses in HNAH and the wider Group.
- Preparation of presentations for internal and external audiences and regulators.
- Liaison and coordination with Group on capital management reporting and deliverables.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Maintain HSBC internal control standards, implement and observe Group Compliance Policy and maintain awareness of operational risk and minimize the likelihood of it occurring.
- Maintenance and monitoring of HNAH’s governance and control procedures for capital planning and adherence to Group’s policies and standards in GSM and FIMs
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance with HNAH and Group capital planning and all other policies.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
Management of Risk
- The job holder will be fundamental in shaping and creating new policy and governance around TPM in HSBC.
- They will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring. Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Ensure compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Qualified accountant/MBA/CFA with experience in finance and regulatory regimes in the US and globally.
- Knowledge of the principles of bank capital and regulatory policy.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas both written and verbally to multiple stakeholders.
- Strong teamwork.
- Ensuring production and maintenance of high quality technical, procedural, transactional and project documentation.
- Strong computer skills including spreadsheet and modelling capabilities.