Our client, a leading global media distribution company, is looking to hire an SVP, Head Programming Attorney responsible for Content Acquisition and Distribution. Reporting into the General Counsel, the Senior Programming Attorney will be responsible for providing executive-level legal support with respect to the negotiation and drafting of the Company’s content agreements and provide strategic legal advice on related issues and disputes. The role will be directly advising senior executives on all legal issues related to content acquisition including contract issues and copyright, and new products or services involving video programming. This position also manages the Senior Counsel, Programming, who assists in the negotiation and drafting of programming and content acquisition agreements. Together, the Senior Programming Attorney and Senior Counsel will also advise the Programming and Product groups regarding such agreements and related content issues.
- Handle all legal matters related to content acquisition including active negotiation and drafting of business-critical affiliation agreements.
- Manage relationships with outside counsel to maximize performance and achievement of business objectives.
- Oversee outside counsel working on content acquisition and regulatory issues (including potential and actual litigation regarding business-critical affiliation agreements)
- Work closely with senior leaders on associated budgeting and tracking.
- Minimum 10-15 years relevant legal experience with respect to the negotiation and drafting of complex commercial agreements within the media/communications industry.
- Demonstrated ability as a senior department lawyer to help build consensus among disparate interests to achieve business goals.
- Prior litigation experience within a corporate environment preferred, however, not required.
- Strong working knowledge of broad range of legal practice areas including contracting, regulatory and intellectual property.
- Excellent contract negotiation and drafting skills.
- Strategic thinker and problem solver. Demonstrated ability to move complex legal issues and projects through a corporate organization from conception through implementation.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills. Strong business acumen and analytical skills as a senior attorney.
- JD degree and admission to a state bar.
Please email resumes to Heather Johnson – Heather@ComplianceSearch.com