AES is seeking a hardworking, personable, creative and detail oriented in-house attorney for its office in Boulder, CO. This person will work within the AES US business unit and support the development, construction and financing of renewable generation assets within the United States. The Senior Counsel will report directly to the Assistant General Counsel, Distributed Energy.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the U.S. business unit with legal and transactional issues to help grow the company’s distributed generation business.
- Specific areas of focus will be transactional support in negotiating and reviewing project development agreements and project financing/tax equity documents.
- Draft, review and revise contracts (PPAs, EPC Contracts, Purchase and Sale Agreements), leases, finance documents, license agreements, and other documents related to the development of solar energy projects.
- Provide legal support for the business development team for bids, RFP’s and similar competitive customer sales processes.
- Work with management, in-house subject matter experts and outside counsel to provide specialized legal services to the company in a cost-effective manner.
- Interface with project lenders, equity partners and their counsel on a daily basis to solve problems and represent the company’s interests.
- Advise the business on a wide range of day-to-day issues that require legal review.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES:
- J.D. is required, preferably from top tier law school.
- 5 years of legal and transactional experience at a top law firm and/or in-house experience is required
- Strong familiarity with project finance, tax equity and renewable energy development required.
- Solar industry (commercial, industrial, or utility) experience is a strong plus
- Real Estate experience specific to the development of ground/roof mounted solar projects a plus.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Excellent negotiation, time and project management, dispute resolution and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable managing multiple, conflicting and changing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work independently.