The Senior Corporate Counsel is responsible for identifying legal risk and opportunity and proactively managing complex legal matters on behalf of Smith & Nephew around the world. This position is required to support the objectives of the business and the Chief Legal Officer of Smith & Nephew as well as to play a major role in providing quality advice and legal services in a cost-effective manner. In addition, the position may support other commercial and corporate functions as requested. The Senior Counsel will regularly interface with management, outside counsel, executive staff, attorneys, and other Legal Department staff, as well as all functional departments of business units, outside sales personnel, and external customers. This position regularly creates, handles, and is exposed to legally privileged, sensitive, and confidential information.
- Advise management across all areas of the business to help ensure the company is in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Advise management on a variety of matters as assigned, including the registration, manufacture, marketing, and sale of medical devices, and monitor the company’s compliance with the same.
- Advise management on issues relating to healthcare laws and regulations, including the federal anti-kickback statute and false claims act.
- Manage litigation activities as assigned, including the discovery process, witness preparation, and managing outside counsel litigation teams.
- Supervise and conduct internal investigations as assigned.
- Prepare and review company policies and procedures as assigned and provide legal support to ensure compliance.
- Develop and present employee training as assigned.
- Report to management on legal risks, contingent liabilities and activities as assigned.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned on occasion.
- As necessary.
- Undergraduate college degree and Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school with superior academic credentials.
- Membership in state bar required.
- Minimum of five years of experience as an attorney with proven ability to manage other counsel and to provide quality legal services.
- Experience advising and supporting the marketing and sale of medical devices and familiarity with U.S. healthcare laws.
Scope of Position Responsibilities:
- This position may assist in managing other members of the Legal function as necessary.
For Internal and External Relationships:
- Routine contact with all levels of staff and management.
- Routine contact with outside counsel, outside sales force and others outside the company.
- Excellent legal, analytical, communication and presentation skills.
- Interest in and ability to understand the business, its strategies, its people and its organizational structures.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others at all levels of the company, both within and outside of the Legal Team.
- Ability to work with, and maintain, highly confidential information.
- Ability to work without supervision, while exercising sound, independent judgment.
- Highly flexible and adaptable; ability to shift focus and priorities easily and quickly.
Quality, Health & Safety, and Environmental (QHSE) Responsibilities:
- Knows and adheres to the quality policy of the company and the quality-related procedures and instructions.
- Reports any deviation in product or process, of which he / she becomes aware, to his / her manager or the Quality department.
- Completes all necessary training in the area of Quality and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice).
- Immediately reports any dissatisfaction or complaint which is brought to their attention from a customer or patient regarding a Smith & Nephew product (e.g. in terms of quality, durability, reliability, safety or performance) to the complaints department.
- Complies with all health, safety and environmental policies, procedures and job hazard analyses applicable to specified job activities; including medical evaluations as required by job function.
- Completes all required HSE training.