Overview of the Role
Securities Operations handles asset setup and trade data entry in the accounting system, trade settlements, margin and collateral movements, corporate actions sourcing, instruction and processing, proxy voting and reconciliation, equity and fixed income pricing, and facilitation of the fair valuation process. The Manager will provide oversight of department processing, coordination of projects, staff development and training, as well as assist the Securities Operations Director in developing a strategic plan for the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and communicate department risk policies, procedures and best practices in order to reduce operational risk. Assess existing processes and create new ones that most effectively anticipate, manage and reduce risk to Janus.
- Work with Supervisors and Seniors to ensure adherence to established departmental procedures and quality standards.
- Act as liaison with other Operations teams as well as clients and Front Office personnel.
- Develop business requirements and review functional specifications needed to support the implementation of system enhancements and new projects.
- Work with Operational teams to coordinate all aspects of projects, including developing project proposals, business requirement, and ensure the smooth integration into departmental workflows. Establish and maintain communication with all departments and individuals involved in assigned projects, including coordinating external vendors and consultants as appropriate.
- Partner with colleagues overseas to ensure cohesive global operating model
- Ensure high quality of work from the team by focusing on problem resolution and escalation of issues.
- Support team through frequent, open and clear communication and by providing training and development opportunities.
- Make recommendations regarding hiring, termination, salary actions and other personnel issues
- Assumes additional duties as requested or assigned
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Proven track record of strong service delivery skills to internal and external partners. Experience with both 40Act mutual funds as well as institutional accounts
- Extensive knowledge of the mutual fund industry including Fund Accounting, Trade Management, and Middle Office operations
- Strong computer skills including MS Word and Excel
- Well-developed skills in prioritization, organization, decision making, time management and verbal/written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Team leader with a proven ability to train, supervise, motivate and evaluate team dynamics
- Five years related mutual fund and/or accounting support experience
- Two years supervisory experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent required
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed by:
- Annual Performance Appraisal
- Completion of all assigned Compliance training
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Overtime may be required on short notice and may include evening, weekend, holiday hours
- Typical office environment with telephone, copier, calculator, etc.
- PC usage up to 90% of the time