Risk Management Specialist is responsible for the monitoring and reporting of bank risk related to the application of bank policy and state and federal laws and regulations within the Bank’s Loan Review Group. The individual will monitor the level of risk within the bank’s loan portfolio through comprehensive file reviews and assessment of quality of risk through observation of lending processes. The associate will assist in gathering and reporting of information to the Board related to exam findings. The individual must ensure reviewed assets are properly classified and assist in compiling information for the bank’s Loan Loss Reserve calculation. The position also includes a wide variety of support duties involving investigation, research, analysis, data mining, and communication, which may be complex, involve confidential issues and have bank-wide impact.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Regulatory Knowledge and Activity – Researches, reviews, interprets and applies state and federal laws and regulations applicable to the area of specialty. Assists in the identification and application of regulatory requirements pertinent to the department’s oversight. Reviews data and applies departmental-approved standards for testing and follow-up. Advises other departments of regulatory requirements as needed.
- Policies & Procedures –Stays current on all relevant changes within the corporation, department and emerging areas of risk. Reviews and applies bank and/or departmental policies & procedures for testing, exception reports and follow-up. Recommends changes in policy and procedures if necessary to improve areas of identified risk.
- Training – Completes required compliance training. Seeks continuing education opportunities to improve knowledge in the area of specialty.
- Products & Systems – Has a working knowledge of systems and products applicable to the department’s responsibility.
- Administration – Adheres to and supports department policies and procedures. Provides assistance and support to management and other departments.
- Interpersonal – Ability to work with others within the department as well as across other departments. Ability to handle conflict resolution in a professional manner.
- Perform examinations of loans and/or relationships directed toward a determination of loan performance, likelihood of repayment, credit and collateral file adequacy, overall financial strength and compliance with related policies, procedures and applicable regulations.
- Gather and manage documentation relating to loan review activities, including information in support of file deficiencies, loan grading, loan review conclusions and the adequacy of the Loan Loss Reserve.
- Monitor review findings and exception trends to assess risks to the bank.
- Assist in preparation of reports to lending management and executive management and, when required, to the Risk Committee or other board-level groups.
- Provide ongoing technical support to lending management, officers, and/or staff on matters relating to loan review activities.
- Assist in the documentation and analysis of the Loan Loss Reserve Adequacy of the bank under the direction of Specialist III or Manager.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals, general business correspondence and/or journals or government regulations
- Ability to write simple correspondence, routine reports and business correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations, to customers, clients and other employees in the organization
- General knowledge and understanding of bank deposit operations, lending activities and other related consumer banking and compliance functions.
- Strong decision making, analytical and investigative abilities with attention to detail and accuracy.
Required and Desired Education and Experience
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- 3-5 years’ experience in Loan Review, Credit Analysis, or Lending with exposure to applicable regulations
- BS/BA Degree from an accredited university/college preferred
- MS Office programs