The Vice President will lead teams that deliver IFC’s investment and advisory services to clients in the Middle East and Africa through a matrixed structure. The Vice President will be responsible for all business activities in the region starting with new regional and country strategies design and implementation. S/he will lead business development efforts (including relationships with private sector clients, governments, World Bank/MIGA and relevant regional development banks) as well as the execution of investment and advisory projects. In addition to meeting investment and financial targets, the regional Vice President will be accountable for the development and financial outcomes of the investment and advisory operations in the regions. S/he will also oversee the deployment of the resources for the region in accordance with both IFC corporate strategy and the regional/country strategies.
In the fiscal year that ended in July 2017, the Middle East and Africa regions accounted for over 25% of IFC own account commitments with US$3 billion in financing of new private sector projects, delivered a large number of advisory services projects and reached a portfolio exposure of over US$10 billion.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Lead investment and advisory businesses, taking responsibility for setting the regional and country strategy, client mapping, business development, origination, and execution of private sector investment and advisory projects across sectors, products and initiatives
- Foster strong relationships with WBG counterparts – in particular WB Regional Vice Presidents covering Middle East and Africa – to identify collaboration opportunities, implement the Cascade and enhance client and business delivery
- Develop a regional business plan for IFC investment and advisory service businesses in partnership with other IFC VPs, and set development goals and business targets for the regional program
- Work closely with WB counterparts to ensure that the WBG regional and country strategies are aligned and reinforcing IFC objectives in the region
- Represent the organization in high level internal and external events and develop IFC’s “brand” in the region, building on IFC’s global brand and the overall communications plan
- Attract resources, both financial and talent, to implement the business plan and achieve the business objectives
- Manage client relationships and develop client strategies, in partnership with the Regional Directors and Advisory Services Managers
- Work closely with Industry and Sector groups to implement sector strategies, business development and project quality, including work with global clients
- Assume P&L responsibility for all clients in the region and accountability for business plan implementation, including achievement of development goals, and investment targets
- Maintain and further enhance portfolio quality and proactive management
- Work closely with the Vice President of Risk and Financial Sustainability to ensure that business delivery is in line with the Corporations’ risk framework
- Work together with the Vice President of Legal, Compliance Risk and Sustainability to ensure that activities address all environmental, social and governance considerations
- Work together with the Vice President of Economics and private Sector Development to ensure that projects are not only commercially sound, but are appropriate in relation to the Corporation’s development mandate and within its results framework, and country Private Sector Diagnostics and strategies
- Build and foster strong relationships with DFIs, co-financiers, donors and other private and public institutions in the Regions
- Work together with the Vice President of Treasury & Syndications to mobilize private sector finance in alignment with the new strategy and the increased requirements to meet the Billions-to-Trillions objectives
- Coordinate with and leverage IFC’s Asset Management Company
- Mobilize and manage donor funds in support of the advisory service business plan
- Manage, gather and disseminate lessons of experience in the region and contribute to IFC’s global knowledge bank
- Build IFC’s climate business in the regions
- In close collaboration with WBG counterparts, engage in policy dialogue with the authorities in the countries of operations and maintain/develop the relationship with the political and business communities at the highest level
- Interact with the members of IFC’s Board and actively participate in the Board Meetings, as well as chairing technical briefings and other workshops
- Provide overall leadership and people management by hiring and developing IFC’s diverse talents based in Washington, DC and in the field offices
- Manage overall budget for the region with a goal to increasing efficiency and effectiveness
- Commitment to development and a proven track record showing alignment with the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values.
- A PHD or Master’s degree (or equivalent professional qualification) in economics, finance, or business and a minimum of 15 to 20 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to represent publicly the IFC and World Bank Group’s viewpoint in global forums and settings in English and French. In addition, ability to speak Arabic is a strong plus.
- Results oriented, strong track record of business delivery, demonstrated investment experience, superior business judgment and established professional credibility.
- Strong technical understanding of the investment and advisory businesses, including client relationship management, credit and equity skills and superior risk management
- Strong work ethic and unquestionable integrity
- Demonstrated ability to lead effectively and manage a large and dispersed team in a dynamic and multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, prioritize effectively, mobilize resources and deploy them flexibly, ability to translate broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans and align the organization to support strategic priorities and ability to set strategic direction and ensure implementation.
- Ability and willingness to make decisions and take accountability and hold others accountable for results.
- Ability to work collaboratively with superior influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to build strong client relationships that lead to results oriented and development focused partnerships.
- Strong track record of producing quality results in an environment of teamwork and accountability.
- Prior experience in successfully managing a diverse group of highly skilled professionals.
- Capacity to motivate teams to excel in competitive markets within the context of a multilateral organization.
- Interest in and ability to drive innovation and change, and to bring together groups that are used to working autonomously to solve problems and make decisions.
- Adept at attracting high caliber people and nurturing their development.
- Ability to cultivate an active network of relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Relates well to key colleagues and stays in touch with employees at all levels.