The Company currently offers services in Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.
Responsibilities of the ideal candidate:
- Advising on payments and pre-paid regulatory compliance across business units, with an emphasis on areas related to payments and pre-paid products, including, without limitation, money transmitter laws, the banking regulations, credit card association rules, and advertising, marketing, and consumer protection laws related to such products and services.
- Assisting in identifying potential areas of risk regarding payments and pre-paid products and developing mitigation plans;
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of applicable compliance programs;
- Advising on and drafting applicable provisions of agreements with vendors, customers, partners, and consultants
- Assisting with applicable litigation and claims involving the Group;
- Interfacing as necessary with other business support teams within the Group, such as finance, tax, accounting, and human resources;
- Interfacing as necessary with third party vendors and service providers on compliance and other matters;
- Cross-functional work to identify, analyze and mitigate issues related to the introduction of new payments products and services whilst supporting Grab’s regional expansion
- Researching legal issues and drafting memos as appropriate.
- Provide timely, concise and business-focused legal advice on payments law and licensing requirements;
- Represent Grab’s interests and interface directly with regulatory agencies and external counsel, as appropriate;
- Supports Public Affairs in responding to relevant legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Instruct and manage external advisors and counsels, as necessary
- Handle other matters as required to support the business
- Providing legal and regulatory guidance on the products (design and modification), proactively identify associated risks and recommend mitigation strategies, review product user experiences to ensure legal compliance and proper disclosures.
- Working closely with (non-payments) regional and country legal teams on payments regulation and product design.
- Familiarity with the development and implementation of AMLA related compliance requirements
- Supporting inter-department initiatives and devising of legally compliant payment products and structures
Requirements of the ideal candidate:
- A recognized Degree in Law
- Qualified to practise in the country
- Intimate knowledge of the Payments industry
- Experience and knowledge of the laws regulating mobile and alternative payments products, emerging payments technology and the payments industry.
- 9 or more years of work experience practicing either at a reputable legal firm or in-house capacity with at least 4 years focused on payments industry.
- Ability to drive and take ownership of projects end to end.
- Ability to articulate licensing requirements to a non-legal audience.
- Comfortable with gray areas and interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts.
- Confident self-starter with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Organised and able to document and build a payments playbook for reference and knowledge sharing.
- Champion creative thinker.
- Willing to work in a fast paced environment.
- Able to stay calm in the face of internal or external pressure.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and ability to work both in teams and independently.
- Able to multi task with strong communication and problem solving skills.