What is the opportunity?
This position will lead and govern the full book of work for the Market Risk and Counterparty Credit Risk IT organization which includes strategic, critical and large programs related to transformational, cross-enterprise change within RBC’s Risk organization. The individual will ensure the portfolio’s strategic goals and objectives are accomplished, within approved time frames, scope and budget while managing a team of Project Managers.
This job adds value by leading initiatives:
- Ensuring cost effectiveness in delivery
- Administrative effectiveness in project management and financial tracking of the portfolio budget
- Providing leadership in project execution, resource management and issue/conflict resolution
The role is responsible for building relationships between Risk IT & stakeholders at all levels of the organization, encouraging and maintaining a positive environment fostering partnership leading to successful delivery of initiatives. The role will contribute in setting strategy and direction for Market Risk and Counterparty Credit Risk IT team working with IT and sponsor management.
What will you do?
- Thinks creatively about opportunities to align RBC offerings with future client needs.
- Facilitates joint planning with the client / partners in the early stages of project formation.
- Builds a robust fiscal year plan, leading discussions with sponsors, determining and prioritizing strategic initiatives to be undertaken
- Integrates project plans at program level creating estimation models as required, refines plan and manages performance against it.
- Ensures programs and projects are aligned to Risk Technology target state. Facilitates joint planning & design with the strategic architecture core team in the early stages of project formation.
- Facilitates schedule and monthly cost forecasting & recovery, streamlining processes, determining best practices/control points to reduce discrepancy in financials
- Champions strong IT governance through the creation of a program decision framework.
- Provides governance & oversight towards all projects and management documents.
- Resolves ambiguity.
- Finds/creates opportunities in partnership with sponsors for accommodating funding reductions in portfolio budget with minimal impact to delivery
- Identifies opportunity for saving money through efficiency gains and appropriate resourcing of initiatives.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to identify opportunities for convergence between Market risk and Counterparty credit risk technology and architecture.
- Builds/presents business case and finalizes Project Approval Requests (PARs) for VP level presentations working closely with sponsors
- Provides management support to project staff in presenting/gathering approval for funding, change requests, resourcing requests etc.
- Provides management support for building the 5 year strategy road map and approval from stakeholders.
- Ensures management of external projects (such as CCAR, Darwin) for compliance as per commitment from MR/CCR/RC, driving timely execution within approved budget.
- Support upper management in coordinating overall Risk updates for executive sponsor meetings and Risk IT town hall decks.
- Facilitates the integration of technology solutions.
- Promotes innovative or improved methods to get the work done and implements best practices.
- Provides oversight towards project execution, working closely with the delivery project managers. Ensures alignment with Corporate Systems strategy and its management in an organized and structured manner.
- Provides oversight through guiding Operating Committee (OC) meetings, providing direction for early resolution of risks/issues and clear escalation path for Executive Steering Committee.
- Supports compliance with Risk Design Authority to ensure project delivery/design aligns with Corporate Systems Risk strategy.
- Oversees projects closure initiatives.
- Provides superior client experience and strengthens relationship with business partners.
- Collaborates with colleagues across the organization ensuring timely execution.
- Manages project communications including status reports to all stakeholders.
- Provides senior management with timely updates on strategic portfolio issues.
- Ensures alignment between sponsor & IT goals working closely with all stakeholders
- Ensures consistency of message, ensuring IT communication to stakeholders is clear and concise and communication from sponsors is interpreted correctly by IT.
- Conducts monthly Steering Committee meetings with senior sponsor & IT management, escalating issues, driving critical decisions and following through actions raised.
- Contributed in setup and implementation of strategic governance framework across the portfolio
- Builds stakeholder relationship and fosters partnership, managing expectations and ensuring effective communication and transparency at all levels of the organization
- Builds project management capability.
- Manages performance, reward and recognition.
- Establishes succession plan for key positions, including own.
- Selects and builds high performing diverse team that leverages individual capabilities and strengths.
- Promotes a mindset for sustained success, growth and diversity.
- Spearheads and guides people through changes.
- Promotes a collaborative culture and leads by example in commitment, attention to detail, effective communication, sponsor/executive management and day to day interaction with internal/external teams
- Coaches and guides resources, in project management and professional growth.
- Supports staff as the point of escalation for all issues and in determining resolution, including coordination & inter-team issues.
- Ensure overall alignment between PM, Dev, BA & QA staff working closely with BA Manager, QA Manager and Head of Development.
- Ensure any issues raised are dealt with in a timely manner either within the team and/or escalated appropriately to IT management and GRM.
- Participates in interview process for hiring new managers across MR, CCR & RC
Influencing Change in the Broader Organization:
- Drive positive change and alignment across PMs in Corporate Systems by actively contributing into Corporate Systems PM Practice Committee
- Specifically leading communication stream for the CS PM Practice committee, promoting usage of connect, conducting quarterly information sessions and ensuring two way communications between PMs and Practice Leads to provide a central point of contact for PM queries and to gather feedback from PMs on current gaps in project management practice to drive short/long term strategic goals.
What do you need to succeed?
- 7+ Years of Project Management/related experience in financial institution
- Graduate degree (required)
- Project Plan development & management
- Task based plans
- Assumption & risk based plans
- Baselining & scheduling
- Waterfall and iterative methodologies
- Portfolio planning and metrics
- Program Governance
- Risk Assessment & quantification methodologies
- Issues escalation and resolution
- Facilitation skills
- Scope change management
- Cost/Benefit analysis & alternatives identification
- Budgeting, project costs management
- Communication management & plans
- Knowledge of relevant technology
- Knowledge of IT Standards, PM Methodologies
People Management Knowledge:
- RBC HR philosophy, principles, direction, policies & guidelines
- Talent Management process (recruitment/selection, performance management, performance development/coaching, reward/recognition)
- Workforce planning
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- A world-class training program in financial services
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
- Opportunities to building close relationships with clients