The J.P. Morgan Legal Department seeks a general banking and advisory lawyer for the Private Bank Legal Group in EMEA. The role will be based in the London office in Knightsbridge and is an exciting and varied opportunity to provide general legal coverage to J.P. Morgan Private Bank, with a particular focus on banking and investment services and with exposure to general regulatory matters. The successful candidate will be part of an international legal team and work with colleagues across Europe, the United States and Asia. The candidate will be a team player, commercially aware and attuned to the needs of a global business, be able to take the initiative and have a collaborative approach to the provision of legal support.
- Advising the Private Bank on general legal, regulatory and contract matters arising from its investment advisory business, discretionary investment management business, custody function and payment services.
- Advising on standard terms and conditions for a wide range of banking and lending products.
- Provide legal support in connection with the Private Bank’s cross border framework, including advising on the offering of investment products and services throughout the EMEA region.
- Advising management, support functions and risk partners on law and regulation that will impact the operations or commercial and financial position of the J.P. Morgan business;
- Advising on the development of policies, procedures and controls for the Private Bank generally.
- Coordinate, instruct and support J.P. Morgan’s external legal advisers.
- Work closely with colleagues in different locations in EMEA and other regions, both business representatives and control functions such as Compliance and Risk Management, where required.
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction
- First class English language drafting and negotiation skills.
- Familiarity with EU laws and the UK regulatory regime applicable to the offering of investment products and services to retail client, including on a cross-border basis.
- Knowledge of applicable banking laws and regulations (including consumer lending and deposit taking) and issues relating to taking security over a wide range of financial instruments.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with the business and fellow legal and support professionals.
- Business aware, proactive, and able to provide practical advice and solutions to meet business needs.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- The ability to prioritise and manage projects effectively.
- Ideally, experience gained within a top law firm and/or in the legal department of a top tier financial institution (preferably a private client business).