- We are seeking an exceptional professional with strong investment knowledge and a proven record of helping sophisticated, high net worth individuals and their families with making investment management decisions to work with us in our Boston office.
- Due to the complex nature of our clients’ investment objectives and related service needs, the Portfolio Manager (“PM”) must possess an understanding of a broad range of investment concepts, disciplines and strategies and apply Brown Advisory’s approach to each one for their individual clients. In addition, PMs work with clients in the development of strategies related to tax planning, wealth transfer and philanthropy, with appropriate support from the Strategic Advisory Group. Significant discretion and latitude is required to meet and interact with clients, prospective clients and their tax and legal advisors.
- The successful hire will be able to apply their strong investment knowledge to identify and cultivate new relationships, as well as help existing clients. It is important that the individual is able to convey a consultative approach to client relationship management and business development, and must display a broad knowledge base to clients and referral sources. The goal is to develop the confidence and trust necessary to develop deep and lasting client relationships and to pursue prospective new business opportunities.
The primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Portfolio management for a broad array of individual, family and trust portfolios, generally balanced, but subject to the special needs of each client; including management of liquidity needs, traditional equity and fixed income portfolios, and opportunistic alternative investments as appropriate in each situation.
- Management of client relationships in coordination with the client service teams, including serving in many instances as the primary relationship manager.
- Active participation in the development of investment strategies for firm clients in coordination with the Portfolio Management and Investment Strategy teams.
- Maintenance of active contact with known referral source relationships and prospective clients and proactive efforts to develop new business opportunities.
- Development of opportunities with existing clients to provide additional services and manage additional assets.
- Contribute to the development of prospect presentations and on-going marketing materials, as well as input to enhance the marketing presence of our Private Client brand.
- Coordination of presentations of the firm’s investment and service capabilities, including developing content and managing meetings for prospective clients and their advisors.
- Participation in the development of new ideas, planning and execution of Private Client business development strategies with senior management and other team members.
- Experience in portfolio management for Private Client individuals and families including investment research, balanced portfolio management, asset allocation and alternative investment strategies.
- Knowledge of the various asset classes and investment management styles, asset allocation techniques, investment strategies, and strategic tax planning.
- Ability to operate independently with a high level of direct responsibility, while maintaining strong ties to the investment team at the firm and participating actively in the development and analysis of new strategies.
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of people, and excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience in developing new business using both traditional and alternative investment strategies.
- Highly motivated and self-starter capable of managing long-term relationships, and initiating and cultivating new client relationships.
- Demonstrated success with managing balanced portfolios for high net worth private clients
- Must be dedicated to the “client first” principles of the firm and must possess uncompromising personal integrity
- Must be a passionate investor who is creative, innovative, and possesses a high level of familiarity across a broad range of investment strategies and client management disciplines
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience working with sophisticated investors
- Demonstrated success working with Qualified Purchasers with varying risk profiles
- Exceptional investment acumen
- High analytical expertise tempered by a strong relationship building mentality
- Exhibits strong interpersonal flexibility
- Demonstrated exposure to multiple asset classes with the ability to articulate why their strategies are important and applicable to the individual person
- Is self-motivated
- Is always a team player
- A strong network in the Boston area is a plus, but not required
Sign Up to Bookmark Jobs, Keep Track of Completed Applications and Receive Recommended Jobs