We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. We are looking for a Patent Agent or Patent Attorney with an advanced degree in the biotechnology arts, ideally with experience in synthetic biology. This position offers a broad range of responsibilities including managing patent portfolio, contract agreements and due diligence analyses (including freedom-to-operate and related analyses) for various projects including internal program guidance. This individual will also work closely with the General Counsel, scientists and members of management at a strategic and analytical level to assess opportunities and risks. This position requires strong communication and project management skills and a great deal of resourcefulness and autonomy in accomplishing a wide variety of tasks. Registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office along with an admission to a state bar (if an attorney) is required. Excellent academics and strong written and oral communication skills are necessary, as this position will interface regularly with scientists and management.
- Develop and executing clear, informed, and sophisticated intellectual property strategies for critical intellectual property portfolios.
- Manage and conduct prosecution of Ginkgo’s, including preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent filings; serve as a liaison with outside counsel, as requested.
- Providing legal opinions regarding patent ability, validity, and freedom-to-operate
- Assist in managing intellectual property due diligence to support business development transactions and company financings
- Proposing and negotiating intellectual property provisions in various agreements
- Managing external relationships with outside patent counsel, collaborators, and business partners
- Act a resource for the General Counsel and Management on changes in patent law, recommend actions based on recent legal precedent.
- Help implement and train internal clients on policies, procedures and systems related to intellectual property issues as requested.
- 5-7 years of experience in patent prosecution and IP due diligence analyses and related work in the biologics space in either a law firm or corporate setting.
- Prior in-house experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceuticals company strongly preferred.
- Experience with contract drafting and negotiation is highly preferred
- Advanced degree in biology, molecular biology or biochemistry strongly preferred.
- Registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Knowledge of synthetic biology is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, problem-solve and operate in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong professionalism and interpersonal skills.