The role involves working as part of Citi’s Municipal Bond Department acting as the primary contact to our community bank Institutional clients. Clients may include large Asset Managers, Hedge Funds, Municipal Bonds Funds, Insurance Companies, and Community banks but the specific focus will be primarily on banks and money managers that manage banks or pension funds investing in bank qualified municipals. The function is critical to the business and is instrumental in highlighting opportunities for the trading desk as well as our clients.
It requires somebody with an exceptional attention to value and detail, highly energetic, excellent communication skills and who has the ability to prioritize and think creatively to resolve issues quickly for clients as well as an ability to build new relationships.
The individual must possess strong analytical thinking coupled with strong IT skills and have the ability to understand, manage and balance between the multitude of flows between the various clients as well Citi’s committers.The individual will expand Citi’s sales distribution to community banks by utilizing existing bank relationships as well as building new ones.
The individual will need to have a whole portfolio capability of community banks; ie cross product knowledge ranging from CRA requirements, lending, relative value comparison, and tax ramifications and benefits in order to properly market and distribute the product. The individual must have the ability to discuss the agency market in order to communicate the relative value of BQ municipals to community bank clients.
- Know and understand Municipal Bonds credits
- Know and understand bank qualified paper and the nuances of banks needs for this type of paper
- Extensive daily interaction with our Institutional Clients
- Participate in the day to day operations with clients, traders and other salespersons to execute trades
- Present and participate in trade ideas to ensure a flow of activity
- Work with the research/analytics team to understand and properly discuss credit situations to our clients
- Work with the Municipal Derivative Desk to enhance customer funding options
- Actively market our Negotiated and Competitive new issue product
- Actively prospect for new community bank business
- Work closely with BQ trader/underwriter to provide color on actions of market participants and to aid in the distribution of inventory and new issue BQ product
- 3-5 year Municipal Bond sales experience
- Series 7 & 63 required
- Knowledge of Excel/PowerPoint/Bloomberg
- Ability and temperament to deliver in a high-pressure environment and work independently
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills and time management skills
- Superior problem-solving abilities
- Thorough knowledge of community bank needs and investing strategies
- Ability to have broad market discussions regarding economic trends and conditions