Manage and lead of team of attorneys and paralegals and other staff members within the Intellectual Property team of the Banking, Operations, Commerce and Global Risk Division of the Wells Fargo Law Department. Oversee a group of patent attorneys and related professionals providing legal advice and strategic insight on the management, creation and protection of Wells Fargo’s portfolio of patents, trade secrets, and other patent related intellectual property. The Managing Counsel will lead a team that will be involved with all business groups within Wells Fargo in the continuing creation of a valuable patent portfolio to protect the innovation and technology of the Company and in enterprise wide risk management activities and practices related to patents.
The Managing Counsel will:
- Lead in the monitoring and identifying of patent and related intellectual property risk issues, including regulatory risk issues that confront the company and will lead in the development of solutions to minimize corporate exposure.
- Provide legal and strategic advice on the licensing activity, merger and acquisition activity and other strategic intellectual property initiatives across Wells Fargo’s domestic and global enterprise.
- Lead efforts in protecting and enforcing Wells Fargo’s patent related intellectual property rights, advise and lead in intellectual property disputes, and develop methods to reduce and limit the litigation on patent related matters against the Company.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key internal business unit constituencies, including managers and senior leaders of Innovation, Technology and Product Development practices and with appropriate external constituencies. Participate in industry working groups as appropriate to gain an understanding of legal risks and trends.
- Foster individual team member growth and development in substantive areas and continue to maintain a very productive patent process.
- Lead outreach to business units on the value of patenting as a corporate goal.
- Manage a budget related to patent preparation and prosecution and manage outside counsel activities in the patent preparation and prosecution.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate expertise in all patent related intellectual property issues for a large financial services company. The candidate will have demonstrated ability in providing practical risk management counsel and strategic advice on intellectual property and related issues within a financial services framework. The ability to lead and manage advanced legal questions or inquiries on legal or strategic matters from senior executive management is expected.
- The ideal candidate will also demonstrate superior communication abilities and client service skills. Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities is essential. The candidate will also lead the team to execute appropriate solutions to complex legal and intellectual property problems. The experience and ability to excel both individually and collaboratively in a diverse financial services company in a highly regulated environment is expected.
- The job description may not represent all the duties of the Managing Counsel with other related duties being assigned as needed. The position is available in San Francisco, CA; Minneapolis, MN, Charlotte NC or other Wells Fargo locations at the option of the hiring manager.
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Active State Bar membership
- 1+ year of leadership experience
- A Juris Doctor(JD) degree
- Business development experience including development and execution of business vision, strategies, and goals
- Leadership and management experience for team of attorneys and staff with a section or legal specialty including developing virtual staff and managing a budget
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships within and across business lines at all levels of the organization
- Effective organizational, multi tasking, and prioritizing skills
- Ability to make complex decisions
- Virtual leadership experience with ability to effectively drive results, provide feedback/direction, and manage and build relationships with leaders and team members in a geographically dispersed team environment
- Budget management experience
- Ability to develop and manage business relationships
- Ability to develop and manage client relationships
- Experience communicating and presenting complex information to multiple levels of the organization
- Ability to lead projects/initiatives with high risk and complexity
- Ability to positively influence, motivate, and direct diverse teams in a shift based, decentralized, and geographically dispersed environment
Other Desired Qualifications
- A member of the Patent Bar entitled to practice before the PTO
- Significant subject matter expertise in technology and intellectual property in financial services companies