With limited direct guidance, this position focuses on the quarterly and annual tax provision presentation for the consolidated firm, and maintaining the Effective Tax Rate presentation, as well as is primarily involved in the tax aspects of each corporate acquisition for the firm. This position also reviews the income tax compliance efforts, including estimates, extensions and tax returns, as well as remains highly involved in tax audits, at the Federal, State and Foreign levels. As the Title suggests, this position is responsible for managing the persons within the tax department, which includes making certain that they are properly trained and functioning as they should. This position is also responsible for assisting the Director, Tax Compliance and Reporting in any tax planning matters that affect the firm.
- Review quarterly, annual corporate tax A/C analysis for income taxes, property taxes, franchise taxes and annual report fee accounts.
- Review quarterly estimate and extension corporate income tax payments and filing forms.
- Review and compare quarterly and annual tax provision workpapers for reflection in the filed documents, such as the 10Q and 10K, as well as other financial statement presentations.
- Insure accuracy and completeness of tax returns being prepared, through maintenance of controls and review processes.
- Overall preparation of quarterly and annual tax provision workpapers for presentation of income tax expense, income tax liability, FIN 48 reserves and deferred taxes and review of tax accountants’ detail work relating to such provision efforts.
- Review the preparation of footnotes regarding income taxes for 10Q and 10K disclosures.
- Oversee such discussions with internal and external auditors, including audits being conducted by various government taxing authorities.
- Assist and advise on the training of tax accountants and tax accounting clerks as needed.
- Some travel by car and/or air in conjunction with local, regional and/or national travel, up to 10%
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It may or may not involve actually solving the problem.
- Managing one’s own time and priorities to ensure the meeting of deadlines.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in spoken or written form so that others will understand.
- Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 8-10 years corporate income tax experience required, with a combination of public accounting and corporate accounting entities
- Series 99 is required or obtained within a short period of time.
- Master’s degree in Tax or Accounting. Appropriate work experience will support a Master’s degree.