As global leaders in providing professional services to the Investment Management industry, Deloitte Tax LLP works with clients to address a range of critical issues brought on by regulatory changes, competition, globalization, advances in technology, and the changing demands of their investors/customers. Our US tax industry group is comprised of more than 1400 partners, principals and employees, providing a spectrum of tax services to a broad range of Investment Management companies. Our clients include investment advisers and administrators from every sector of the industry, including hedge funds, private equity, investment partnerships, alternative products, family offices, mutual funds, broker-dealers, banks, insurance companies, and other investment managers.
We are currently looking for Tax Managers for our Investment Management Tax practice. Tax Managers use their experience in accounting and taxation to provide tax compliance and consulting services to Investment Management clients. They must be familiar with the tax consulting process and have the professionalism necessary to assist clients with the effective analysis, solution, development and implementation of clients’ tax objectives. Tax Managers will have the opportunity to develop and pursue creative approaches while using the latest technologies. They conduct day-to-day management of accounts by delivering tax consulting services to the client and bringing in specialists when necessary.
The right person should have experience and an advanced understanding of Subchapter K, financial products, wash sale and constructive sale rules, and aggregate allocations, and the ability to read subscription and partnership agreements. Solid understanding of trader vs. investor rules, OID, SWAPS and/or derivatives, market discount rules, incentive allocations and common hedge fund structures (i.e., master feeders) is also required, along with basic planning such as gain acceleration techniques and deferral techniques.
Tax Managers in our Hedge Fund Tax practice perform high-level reviews of tax research, partnership work papers, allocations and tax returns, as well as prepare and lead client meetings on compliance and consulting projects related to tax planning opportunities and the tax implications of transactions to the funds. They also train, mentor and supervise new and experienced-level Tax Consultants and Tax Seniors. They begin taking on the lead client contact role on engagements and billing and profitability analysis on engagements. They also begin to be involved in marketplace pursuits.
- 4 or more years of public accounting experience (at least 3 years in Investment Management) or equivalent in law firms or industry
- CPA, Enrolled Agent, or other appropriate certification required (or in process of pursuing)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other business related field
- Advanced Degree preferred: MST, MAcc, JD or LLM
- Prior Big 4 experience a plus
- Experience with managing projects including scheduling, budgeting, client correspondence and billing
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Knowledge of fund accounting and general ledger accounting a plus
- Some travel may be required