Osler is currently recruiting for a Manager, Audit & Compliance in the Toronto office to provide the management of the Firm with accurate, relevant and timely financial information in connection to all audit engagements. This includes co-ordination of all internal reviews and external audits (Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP and Carthos Services LP). Other responsibilities include assisting with month end and year end procedures, implementing process improvements and assistance with annual budget process. Also serve as a project lead/manager for any project implementations in the Accounting area.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Co-ordinates the conduct of the Firm’s annual external audit of its Financial Statements, tax and trust accounting operations with the Firm’s external auditors, various tax authorities or auditors from various Law Societies.
- Co-ordinates routine compliance functions including adherence to expense and billing policies, commodity tax rules and various other internal reviews as assigned.
- Assists in certain segments of the Firm’s annual budget dealing with support departments and capital expenditures in co-operation with the Senior Manager, Accounting and Director, Finance.
- Assists with preparation of the monthly and annual audited financial statements and the related schedules for the Firm.
- Co-ordinates the administration of changes to Firm’s Signing Officers for various bank accounts.
- Ensures the timely and accurate reporting of the annual trust reports for the Law Society of Upper Canada, Law Society of Alberta, Law Society of British Columbia and Barreau du Québec.
- Co-ordinates the reporting of the Firm’s conference and CLE related expenses, including the approval of expenditures related to same.
- Actively involved in process improvements including developing innovative, proactive and efficient ways to improve quality, process and customer services.
- Responsible for leading/managing special projects as assigned. Supervising and/or leading other team members to achieve the project goal. Projects may include upgrade of existing software, implementation of new software and/or new features of existing software, etc.
- Responsible for leading special financial analysis and reporting projects as assigned. May require supervising and leading other team members to achieve the project goals.
- Handle confidential materials and documents.
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree and a CPA designation (preferably through the CA stream or with solid audit experience). A minimum of five years of accounting experience is also required and some supervisory/managerial experience is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy with numbers
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft products including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Solid knowledge of advanced accounting concepts and principles
- Strong knowledge of commodity taxes
- Analytical skills necessary for detailed analyses
- Basic Leadership / Project Management skills in order to lead small teams on projects
- Ability to organize data to achieve desired results and design custom reports
- Communication skills (written and verbal), focussed listening, interpersonal and negotiation skills are required to communicate with a number of various contacts at all levels, including the Partners of the Firm
- Time management and organizational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize among many demands
- Knowledge of Osler financial analytical tools such as Excel (advanced), SQL, Adobe Acrobat, ADERANT, and Microsoft SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) preferred
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player with a positive attitude