Alliance Defending Freedom is looking for a highly-skilled Legal Counsel to be based in Scottsdale, Arizona. As Legal Counsel, you will advocate within a multi-disciplinary, collaborative environment. You will undertake complex litigation from initiation of the action through appellate advocacy with a high degree of professional discretion and with limited oversight by senior attorneys. You will work to protect the sanctity of life by countering the adverse effects of abortion on demand and a national campaign to legalize doctor-assisted suicide. You will file and litigate 42 U.S.C. § 1983 civil rights actions and similar state law actions through appellate and in some instances, the Supreme Court levels. You will draft legal documents, advise clients as to legal rights, engage in public advocacy such as speaking, blogging, and appearing in all forms of media. In addition, you will oversee administrative and paralegal support functions as well as support and mentor less experienced attorneys.
Your Essential Responsibilities:
- Conduct legal research;
- Interview prospective and current clients and witnesses;
- Conduct appropriate discovery in all forms;
- Represent clients in court and/or before quasi-judicial or administrative government agencies;
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for individuls and organizations;
- Confer with colleagues to establish and verify basis for legal advocacy;
- Present your clients’ and ADF positions to the media;
- Advise allied attorneys on legal issues within areas of competence;
- Network and develop relationships with allied attorneys, and/or potential allied attorneys;
- Cooperate with Development team, including speaking engagements and other events;
- Train junior attorneys; perform quality control via review and editing of trainee’s drafts; in house workshop, and one-on-one mentoring;
- Perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor(s).
Skills you need to succeed:
- J.D. and at minimum, six years of litigation experience;
- Strong research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, and Westlaw;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Strong attention to detail and proven project management skills;
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Proven customer service and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Professionally handle confidential information;
- Work, motivate, and initiate within a team;
- Willingness and ability to travel as necessary;
- Practice in the US courts and pass any necessary bar examinations.
Special Instructions: Please include a writing sample with your resume. Preferably a “Motion” that you have written.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN ORGANIZATION WITH A COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS PACKAGE, TOO?
We have it! Alliance Defending Freedom offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes major medical insurance, dental care, medical and dependent care reimbursement, paid disability, long-term care insurance, and life insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan with a generous company match. Work and life balance is important to the well-being of our team members. You will receive paid time off (PTO) that starts accruing from your hire date and 10 paid holidays per year.