Reporting directly into the CEO on a local basis and the General Council based in Asia you will be responsible for all legal activities in the country group (22 countries) including business partnering, local compliance, litigation, general legal services (contracts, Intellectual Property, labor, regulatory, product safety, approvals (products/manufacturing), co-operations(commercial/strategic) and external legal advisor contacts.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to all operational areas in the country group to ensure that their current and proposed activities, policies, business practices and transactions comply with all relevant laws and regulations, including special projects such as acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Support the overall legal and Corporate Compliance of the business in the country group by coordinating the corporate compliance activities needed such as trainings, seminars and focused campaigns and managing appropriate Compliance Committee meetings and reports to the global compliance function.
- Identify and address issues of legal risk and compliance in the country group (including reporting, risk-mitigating activities, balance-sheet related measures)
- Prepare contracts, letters and other documents related to a variety of trade, commercial, promotional, regulatory, financial and other operational matters to protect the company assets and the overall organization’s legal and business interests.
- Further implement and maintain the global contract management process
- Manage active and/or defense litigation including ensuring proper representation by outside counsel (while securing case reporting and strategic alignment)
- Interact/negotiate with the legal representatives of customers, trade association’s government authorities/agencies, including law-enforcement agencies.
- Retain outside counsel as warranted on all matters related to the business in the country group
- Provide support and advice in matters related to labour laws, industrial relations, employments contracts and conditions of employment
- The job holder provides leadership and coordination for all Compliance, Law and other activities of the country organization.
- The job holder shall, in all cases work in compliance with the globally defined processes and best practices for the Compliance and Law function, carry out himself and/or coordinate where applicable the following activities
- University degree or equivalent from an accredited law school
- Qualified Lawyer
- English language must be fluent in spoken and written
- A minimum of 10 years of legal experience gained from progressively responsible positions. Corporate legal experience strongly preferred rather than only law firm.
- Strength in planning, organization and management with a track record in handling multiple projects and cases.
- Strong analytical skills to assess risk involvement, extent of legal liability, financial impact and long term effects of own decisions on the overall Group
- Team-oriented leadership skills honed through experience with senior management