The Equity Capital Markets (ECM) group is responsible for originating, structuring and executing equity and equity-linked transactions on behalf of the firm’s corporate and financial sponsor clients. Typical transactions include IPOs, follow-ons, convertibles, private placements, and spin-offs. ECM professionals sit at the confluence of Investment Banking coverage and Sales & Trading to lead equity and equity-linked transactions across all industry groups.
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
William Blair is the ideal environment for individuals who enjoy working in a dynamic environment that demands quick learning, independent thinking, and taking ownership of projects.
As a summer analyst at William Blair, you will receive a unique opportunity to work with current analysts, associates, and senior bankers over the course of the 10-week program. In a short period of time, summer analysts gain a high level of experience and exposure within the firm and are able to play an integral role in various deals.
Summer analysts take on all functions of a full-time analyst, including financial modeling and analysis, industry and company research, and involvement with client communications and meetings. The summer program also includes internal training, community service, and social events. After completion of the program, we hope to have most of our summer analysts join us as full-time analysts upon graduation.
- Work alongside Managing Directors, Directors, and Vice Presidents in ECM Origination and across sector coverage groups to originate and execute equity and equity-linked offerings across William Blair’s client coverage universe.
- Financial Analysis: Conduct client and comparable company financial analysis and modeling on market capacity for issuers of equity or equity-linked securities with general supervision. Also expected to conduct detailed analyses on various other equity considerations including share buybacks and dividend policies.
- Research: Research current and prospective client companies, comparable companies and transactions, and potential institutional investors; monitor and research capital markets; update client and equity databases; track capital markets trends including industry/sector holding trends and deal participation trends.
- Drafting Transaction-Related Documents: Support ECM Origination and sector coverage groups in preparing commitment committee, filing, and selling memorandums, and investor targeting materials. Work alongside Equity Syndicate, Institutional Sales & Trading, and Research during offering execution process to coordinate feedback on deal messaging, company peers, and the capital markets broadly.
- Preparing Client Proposals and Presentations: Compile and prepare appropriate marketing materials detailing the William Blair ECM perspective and recommendation on the capital markets, and highlighting William Blair’s equity and distribution platform. Also, prepare and supervise external marketing initiatives which include both weekly and quarterly publications.
- Participate in other projects as requested by management.
- Pursuing undergraduate bachelor’s degree with anticipated graduation between December 2018 – June 2019.
- Major in Economics, Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Financial Analysis. Be comfortable building and auditing fully-integrated financial models including IPO and comparable company trading and valuation analyses; DCF and LBO familiarity a plus. Strong database management and excel skills required to analyze/synthesize capital markets data into pertinent insights.
- Working knowledge and interest in the capital markets required.
- Strong communication, quantitative, and written skills.
- Solid working knowledge of financial accounting.
- Attitude. Motivated team-player, resourceful, independent self-starter, attentive to details, enjoys multitasking, and works well under pressure on time sensitive initiatives.
- Computer proficient – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Bloomberg, CapIQ, Dealogic, and FactSet.