- Compliance Advisory
- Provide oral and written advice to the Morgan Stanley businesses and support functions on compliance policies and procedures and relevant UK and international laws, rules and regulations. Such advice may be general in nature or specific, for example, to transactions, new business initiatives, ordinary course of business enquiries and exceptional situations.
- Strategic Projects & Initiatives
- Participate in / lead as appropriate strategic projects and initiatives with other legal and compliance professions, including helping to scope projects, deliver workstreams and implement action plans.
- Monitoring and Testing programme
- Undertaking specific Infrastructure Compliance testing: partnering with a member of the relevant central EMEA Risk Assessment, Testing and Strategic Initiatives Compliance team to lead Infrastructure Compliance test checks and desk reviews to monitor compliance with relevant Regulations and internal policy.
- Coordinate the Infrastructure Compliance test check programme: help ensure the programme is kept up to date, liaising closely with the EMEA Risk Assessment, Testing and Strategic Initiatives Compliance team and relevant global teams. Ensure themes and lessons learnt arising are considered more broadly.
- Quality Assurance: ensuring testing is undertaken and documented in line with applicable standards.
The candidate will report into an Executive Director, Infrastructure Compliance, EMEA.
Due to the diverse and widespread nature of the position, the role requires close contact at all levels of business unit staff, as well as operational, IT and other support personnel within the Firm. The role will also include external contact, such as with clients, other investment banks, broker-dealers, regulatory bodies, industry bodies, outside counsel and external auditors.
Skills required (essential)
- Ability to build relationships of trust with members of the Compliance department and employees in the business unit and support & control functions.
- Strong communicator – in person and in writing; strong drafting skills is essential.
- Good analytical and numerical skills, able to learn new concepts.
- Detail oriented and good memory skills.
- Ability to remain focused under pressure.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Confidence to use own initiative and apply judgment in an in-house context.
- Proactivity, enthusiasm and aspiration to learn and develop.
- Solid knowledge in at least one relevant area (e.g. client assets, outsourcing, voice recording, senior management systems and controls, fund administration, disclosure of interest or transaction reporting)
- Technical knowledge of one or more areas of Morgan Stanley’s business is desirable but not essential.
- Previous experience of completing risk based sampling or testing is desirable but not essential.