HCM is seeking candidates to apply for the position of Director-Originations for its Leveraged Senior Credit Group. The position will be located in HCM’s Chicago office which serves as the primary location for leveraged senior lending activities. The candidate will be responsible to help build the senior debt origination capabilities within the broader HCM platform, which includes equity co-investments, mezzanine debt, and private equity fund investment strategies.
The professional will support the group’s effort in developing and managing relationships within the private equity community with responsibilities that include:
- Developing and managing a private equity focused senior debt origination effort within a geographic region of the US that is aligned with HCM’s investment strategies;
- Maintaining and institutionalizing a deep understanding of each private equity relationship by monitoring and reporting material fund raising, investment and portfolio activities;
- Leading and coordinating with the underwriting staff the screening, underwriting, approval, and closing processes for each financing opportunity;
- Supporting the expansion of HCM’s general marketing efforts that include all products and capabilities; and
- Supporting the firm’s efforts to attract, develop, and retain best-in-class origination, underwriting and portfolio management talent.
- Helping to build and maintain a culture of honesty, integrity, trust, transparency, teamwork, tenacity, competitiveness, excellence and fun.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. MBA or CFA expected.
- Strong credit capabilities with over 10 years of relevant middle market credit and originations experience, including at least 5 years of direct underwriting and portfolio management experience.
- Strong sales and negotiating skills along with deep relationships with senior members of leading middle market private equity firms that include a history of sourcing a diverse set of attractive financing transactions.
- A comprehensive knowledge of market pricing and terms along with a creative and balanced approach to credit structuring and pricing.
- Experience in managing multi-product transaction teams, leading the execution effort from origination to closing. Easily demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills along with strong motivation and leadership skills.
- Able to balance a calm, steady, patient approach to business with passion to compete and win new business in a highly competitive environment. Accepts and manages conflict and disagreement in a constructive and professional manner.