Candidate will join the US Division Audit Coordination and Internal Controls Center of Excellence (CCOE) group within US Finance. This group provides our business partners with expertise in the design and testing of controls and collaborates with Audit Services and external audit to ensure that the audits of the Company’s Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) and Model Audit Rule (MAR) controls and financial statements go smoothly. In addition, this group provides centralized support of the US Division control environment, including the insurance and annuity operational reporting, IFRS actuarial reporting, NAIC actuarial reporting and Accounting Shared Service Centers. This team is also critical in a Company-wide initiative to reduce the SOX/MAR testing effort across the US Division and in developing best practices in internal controls for the benefits of all process owners.
Reporting to the AVP, the Controls COE Director manager will be responsible for engaging and inspiring the Controls COE team in the oversight of the five control accountants that perform the the day-to-day control analysis of financial SOX control procedures within the operations areas, accounting and actuarial shared service groups and operational risk framework, which includes:
- SOX & MAR coordination
- Key risk audits
- Design of controls and best practices
- Liaison with operational financial controls
- External audit coordination
- Actuarial valuation controls
- Reinsurance controls
- Incident reporting
The position will provide opportunities to build on competencies such as leadership, coaching and mentoring, collaboration and coordination across business areas including Audit Services and external audit, project management and developing knowledge of John Hancock operational and actuarial controls/processes.
- Provide strong, proactive leadership and coaching to a team of finance professionals
- Identify and implement continuous financial process improvements and develop best practices in policies, processes, controls and risk reporting to create efficiencies
- Ensure adequate planning for the successful completion of SOX walkthroughs for delivery to EY
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge regarding SOX controls, audit concepts and risk identification
- Build effective relationships with the Insurance and Annuity operational leads, business unit/shared service actuaries, Audit Services, external auditors, operational risk management and accounting shared service providers.
- Build effective relationships and collaborate with the SOX PMO, US Division IT Controls COE and Controls COE groups across the company including Group, Canada, Investments and Asia
- Drive assessments and reviews of the adequacy of controls, incident reports, deficiencies and remediation plans noted within the business area/shared service overall actuarial framework.
- Drive the continuous improvement of the business area/shared service’s controls framework, methodology, tools & reporting.
- Maintain a high level of responsiveness to internal & external auditors, ensuring adherence to professional standards.
Job Requirements (Knowledge/Skills/Competencies):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or equivalent work experience.
- Accounting designation (CPA, CA) with 10+years of relevant experience, public accounting experience a plus
- Working knowledge of SOX, MAR, and IFRS/NAIC accounting guidelines are a plus
- Demonstrated leadership talents in coaching and motivating staff to achieve objectives and contributes to building team member capabilities by adjusting their leadership style to each individual/situation
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence management at various levels of the organization.
- Detailed oriented with strong organization and project management skills. Excellent customer focus and a commitment to quality while still meeting deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and recommendations orally and in writing, while considering the viewpoint of others.
- Strong analytical and inquiry skills to understand operational and valuation processes and controls.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently and with teams at the Boston & Toronto locations.