- The primary objective of this role is to drive material and visible improvement in the wholesale businesses’ ability to manage their RWA & Capital position in the Americas, creating the awareness and understanding which will ensure this improvement is permanent and enduring.
- The role is responsible for RWA & Capital efficiency, the identification of optimisation opportunities across CMB and GBM Americas and for coordinating initiatives to capture such opportunities on a continuing basis. This will involve working across functions and regions in CMB and GBM and across other parts of the Group.
- The role holder will be expected to be a subject matter expert in, and assist in advising the Banks’ originators and management in the use of analytic methodologies and concepts relating to RWA & Capital regulations, calculation and optimisation.
- The role is also likely to include the provision of training and support to front office staff who originate capital consuming products.
- The role holder will be expected to build a clear understanding of all issues which contribute to movements in CMB and GBM’s RWA & Capital figures e.g. regulation (PRA & US), rating models, data capture, financial reporting systems, portfolio composition and management and be able to develop a forward view on issues arising which will impact on the business’ performance.
- The role is also expected to be the Finance business partner for Lending & Transaction Management within Commercial Banking US. This includes reviewing monthly performance, leading planning and forecasting activities, and supporting the business on various ad hoc projects.
Key activities and decision making areas:
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
The role has the following accountabilities:
- Partner with various business and functional stakeholders including CMB and GBM Corporate teams, Lending and Transactional Management / Wholesale Portfolio Management, Finance, Risk etc. to drive clear actions to optimise capital allocation and improve returns in both businesses.
- Lead the regional execution of commercial and technical optimisation. Partner with regional teams from the front line, PM, Risk, Regulatory Risk Analytics, Regulatory Reporting, Finance, IT and Legal to deliver key commercial and technical priorities.
- Point of contact for regional management and other business and group stakeholders in the region.
- Ensure consistency of approach across region, sharing best practice with other regions and tailoring regional solutions where appropriate.
- Driving RWA transparency including training, tools and delivering MI to the front line). Act as a subject matter expert for originators, offering concise and simple explanations to aid origination / RWA optimisation decisions.
- Regional representation on risk committees, MOC, country management meetings etc as appropriate.
- Coordinate and lead the regional execution of significant change programs to improve RWA & Capital efficiency.n. Input into the funding of programs, resourcing, coordination and delivery against plan/financial (RWA) targets. This role may involve documenting methodologies and specifications of systems enhancements for the implementation of IT, developing and accepting user acceptance testing concepts and updating end user documentation.
- Partner with Risk, Finance and other departments in the region to drive actions around data management and model enhancements to ensure data accuracy and consistent application of models. Deliver RWA efficiencies through new modelling approaches. Influencing & participating in business cases and collaborating across the wholesale business. Sourcing funding and resources.
- Excellent stakeholder management and implementation capabilities, coordination across the many interested stakeholders will be a key challenge.
- This role straddles multiple business lines and functions and requires an understanding of both the external regulatory environment in which the bank operates (US & PRA) as well as of the structures and operations of the bank, i.e. how we originate and structure our assets and how we report and account for them internally.
- Role holder will act as a subject matter expert and point of contact for a wide range of stakeholders with differing levels of technical knowledge.
- This is an analysis, consulting and execution role in a business activity identified as needing improvement by the Group Management Board, the Holdings Board and the HNAH Board. It is therefore strategically important and requires visible and early success in executing required actions.
- This role will be part of both the US Wholesale Finance team and the Global Capital Management team within CMB Finance. To be effective, the successful candidate will need to develop effective working relationships with other regional Capital Management teams, WPM teams, business segments, finance and risk teams.
Management of Risk:
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring. Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls:
- Knowledge of how RWAs are measured and managed, including concepts of EAD, LGD, PD and EL;
- Understanding of external regulatory environment, especially as it impacts banks’ capital requirements.
- Experience of working in Risk, Finance, Portfolio Management environments is desirable; an understanding of how assets are gathered and structured at the point of origination will be helpful.
- Advanced analytics skills, ideally advanced SAS programming skills.
Degree level or equivalent
- People/ stakeholder management
- Project management
- Strategic dexterity and analytical capability
- Commercial/market/risk awareness
- Experience of leading and operating effectively in a matrix organization