- This new role calls for a senior, all-around corporate attorney with experience in complex corporate and finance transactions. Reporting to the Lead Counsel – Corporate & Finance, this lawyer will negotiate and manage complex transactions and corporate matters on a global basis as well as assist in the training and mentoring of more junior attorneys in the group. The role is located at the Company’s headquarters in the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit, Michigan.
- The successful candidate will have between seven (7) and twelve (12) years of legal practice with experience working on a wide range of complex transactions and corporate matters for multinational clients. Candidates must also possess initiative, integrity, resilience, and the ability to manage multiple large-scale projects, as well as strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to present information and reports to management clearly and concisely. The successful candidate must be effective in operating in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. S/he should be collaborative with a strong ability to partner with others.
- This is a national search and relocation candidates are welcome. Compensation is competitive in the market and commensurate with experience.
This position calls fora seasoned, mature, and business-minded attorney possessed of excellent judgment, solid character, and personal integrity. The Counsel – Corporate& Finance will join a closely-knit team of lawyers engaged in a wide variety of corporate matters for the Company.
Specific responsibilities include
- Leading the implementation and management of internal corporate structures around the globe.
- Developing a framework and process for management of commercial agreements with GM’s banking partners,and negotiating both global master agreements and other agreements with banking and finance partners.
- Managing the delegation of authority across the GM group of companies.
- Leading the management of GM’s global subsidiary process, including serving as the business owner for GM’s entity management system and related procedures, subsidiary governance matters, funding of global subsidiaries and subsidiary D&O matters.
- Leading the negotiation of complex commercial financing arrangements, global commercial contracts,complex debt and financing transactions and other complex treasury transactions and projects, including operational matters and transactions relating to the financing of GM’s operations worldwide.
- Coordinating with other legal staff colleagues around the world and, when appropriate, managing outside counsel and local counsel in a variety of jurisdictions around the globe.
- Assisting the Lead Counsel in mentoring and training more junior lawyers in the Corporate &Finance team.
- Law degree from an accredited law school with excellent academics and membership in good standing in at least one state bar; graduation from nationally recognized law schools a strong plus.
- Active license to practice law in Michigan or at least one other US jurisdiction, and (if not admitted in Michigan) the ability to qualify for in-house practice in Michigan.
- At least seven (7) years of experience in complex corporate transactions and/or M&A is required.
- Training in a large law firm is strongly preferred; prior in house experience with a large company is not required.
- Experience leading cross-functional and global teams on legal matters is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously from inception to completion while meeting all project goals.
- Must be detail-oriented,analytical, technical, flexible, self-motivated and big-picture minded.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to act as a change agent.
- Commitment to high standards of quality and ethical behavior.