This position will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and support related to transactions for BMS’ Business Development organization.
- Lead negotiations and provide direct counseling to clients on transactional matters for BMS’ Business Development organization.
- Draft, negotiate and finalize contracts in an effective, efficient and time-sensitive manner.
- Identify and resolve critical legal issues and identify and help resolve critical business issues arising from transactions.
- Provide legal advice and legal interpretation on rights and obligations under executed agreements.
- Proactively identify the need for, prepare and deliver training, written guidance and other aids for clients.
- Proactively advise and counsel clients on transaction issues in close collaboration with lawyers from other practice areas and relevant subject matter experts throughout the company.
- Consistently prioritize significant workload based on business needs and communicate this prioritization.
- Work cooperatively with peers to leverage skills and knowledge within the Business Development Legal team and other members of the Law Department.
- Actively contribute to maintaining a solid Business Development Legal team, through participation in discussions, sharing best practices, collaboration on projects, etc.
- Service-oriented approach to advising client groups. Breadth of exposure to the legal and business issues that arise in connection with transactions.
- Full commitment to Bristol-Myers Squibb Company mission and values.
- Juris Doctor degree. Qualification to practice law in New Jersey (or NJ in-house counsel limited license or ability to obtain same).
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in a major law firm or in legal function of a major corporation.
- Practical experience drafting and negotiating agreements related to the bio/pharmaceutical or life-sciences industry.
- Preferably has experience drafting and negotiating the following:
- Intellectual property licensing agreements
- Research collaboration agreements
- Clinical trial collaboration agreements
- Co-promotion agreements
- Preferably has working knowledge of life-science/pharmaceutical industry, including regulatory environment, rules and laws relating to intellectual property, and common business and legal issues that arise in connection with the foregoing agreements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and can successfully manage client expectations and can work/operate well with a variety of personalities/capabilities in cross-functional teams, matrix environment.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Listens to client needs and communicates with clients with confidence and diplomacy.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and business judgment are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and senior management personnel.
- Ability to work independently, effectively and efficiently and perform against broad objectives.