J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world.
- Advising on litigation and disputes, either as stand alone matters with the relevant line of business lawyer or as part of a wider team including outside Counsel.
- Instructing outside Counsel including managing the dispute resolution process, reviewing draft documents and discussing strategy.
- Dealing with regulatory enquiries in conjunction with the Compliance Department.
- Reporting to and briefing senior members of the business and the legal department in both EMEA and the United States, including giving updates and providing advice.
- Advising the business on handling client complaints and disputes which may arise pre-litigation.
- Assisting with queries from the business on transactions including on jurisdiction clauses, indemnity clauses and wider concerns re.potential disputes.
- Updating reports and internal databases as necessary regarding current disputes.
- PQE from a law firm with banking litigation experience, or equivalent experience with a legal department of a large financial institution.
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction
- Insolvency experience, contentious regulatory experience
- Experience of running cases with limited supervision as well as managing a small team is preferred.
- Fluency in other European languages would be an advantage.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent
- Excellent relationship management and people skills – ability to get along with a broad mix of people and personality styles. Able to form and maintain strong working relationships within Legal and with clients, and ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to provide firm guidance on complex and sensitive issues with the appropriate balance of commercial risk.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and a flexible attitude to work and colleague coverage.
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and excellent analytical skills with due attention to detail.
- Ability to think on feet, multitask and prioritise. Capable of working independently and efficiently.
- The confidence and gravitas to advise senior management and influence individuals within the organisation. A confident presenter.
- The ability to recognise and manage challenge from internal clients.
- Ability to respond to business issues with workable solutions often under critical time pressure.