- Splunk Legal is a collaborative team of lawyers and legal professionals who help accelerate Splunk’s continuing success by providing creative and practical answers to cutting-edge legal questions. Splunk Legal delivers thoughtful solutions that enable Splunk to grow its industry leadership position globally.
- Splunk is seeking a candidate to be located in Tysons, VA supporting the Splunk US Public Sector sales team, partners, and other initiatives by providing the thoughtful leadership to enable growth while mitigating legal risks. The successful candidate will need to be action and detail oriented with a strong focus on customer success and will address a broad range of legal and business issues in a practical and timely. A proven track record of success in completing complex software and cloud transactions with across US Public Sector (including SLED) and dealing with regulatory requirements is required.
- The successful candidate must (1) possess strong business judgment, (2) work independently as well as collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced global team environment; (3) be an active listener as well as a clear and concise communicator, (4) makes quality decisions with the appropriate level of information and (5) rapidly and consistently deliver successful outcomes.
Responsibilities will include:
- Advise Splunk Public Sector sales and partner teams on transactions and uses relevant to their business.
- Provide Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) subject matter expertise, particularly commercial item contracting under FAR Part 12
- Review, draft and negotiate software licenses, SaaS terms of service, intellectual property agreements, partner agreements and other agreements in support of US Public Sector (including SLED) and Government Contracts Sales, Alliances, and Professional Services organizations.
Provide legal advice to ensure compliance with all laws.
- Review proposed responses and submission to government for compliance with law and regulation.
- Respond promptly to requests for legal advice from Sales, Partners, Sales Ops, and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts and practical solutions.
- Advise all business clients on the legal issues and risks, complex deal structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, negotiation strategy and other related licensing issues.
- Develop, conduct and track ethics and compliance training for Public Sector employees on Splunk’s policies and procedures and government rules and regulations.
- Perform ethics and compliance risk assessment and policy gap analysis.
- Work with sales and partner teams, professional services, revenue recognition, pricing, Finance, sales and partner operations, to support the process for contracting and order processing for Public Sector.
- Work closely with the Public Sector teams and Splunk Government relation’s team to ensure adherence to in the realm of political law and compliance.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, playbook, contract templates, and legal processes.
- Spot issues involving intellectual property, privacy, data and cyber security, data transfer, anticorruption and Business Code of Conduct compliance, anti-trust, and employment.
- Reinforce Splunk’s strong culture of compliance by providing ongoing training, education, and overview to ensure that Splunk meets all applicable legal requirements.
- Assist in development and dissemination of policies and procedures involving licensing,
- Intellectual property, privacy, data and cyber security, data transfer, anticorruption and Business Code of Conduct compliance, anti-trust, and employment.
- Conduct legal projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will hold a Juris Doctorate from a top tier law school and be a good member in standing in the VA bar or have VA corporate counsel status within six months of employment with Splunk.
- Possess exceptional legal capabilities and judgment.
- At least 7 years of in-depth experience in enterprise software licensing, partner transactions, intellectual property matters, and demonstrated experience in licensing, open source, privacy laws, cyber security laws, antitrust and contract laws.
- 5+ years hands on experience of government contracting requirements and FAR
- Deep knowledge of government requirements and FAR, DFARS, ITARS and related rules.
- Experience in investigations and compliance matters pertinent to Public Sector.
- Significant experience with contracting to sell directly or via a reseller through the GSA.
Demonstrated ability to be highly responsive to clients and customers.
- In house experience within a high growth, technology driven company is valuable however law firm candidates with significant government contracting and technology related experience would be considered.
- A proven team player with experience in a fast moving, entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring complex commercial transactions agreements and responding to complex customer agreements. Creative thinker with the ability to offer practical solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in issue spotting intellectual property issues, privacy, data and cyber security, data transfer, anticorruption and Business Code of Conduct compliance issues, anti-trust issues, employment issues, tax and corporate issues.
- Ability to independently raise questions. Investigate decisions and develop solutions to maintain Splunk’s culture of high business integrity.
- Outstanding contract and license drafting skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a desire to work in a high-energy, sales oriented culture with an ability to adapt to quick changes in the business environment and a large volume of work with quick turnaround times.
- Superior communication skills.
- Highly collaborative team player with a professional desire to make a meaningful impact.
Flexible, creative, and smart–shows initiative and perseverance, resourceful.
- Can identify creative solutions on the fly that are within the letter and spirit of the law.
Demonstrated ability to be both strategic and detail oriented with an ability to product high quality deliverables.
- Hands on energetic approach coupled with a strong commitment to excellence.
- Able to work independently and to employ excellent legal and business judgment.
- An ability to work successfully in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment.
- Invigorated by a collaborative, innovative and decisive culture.
- High degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive.
- Ease in developing relationships of trust and confidence both within and outside Splunk.
- Comfortable outside one’s “comfort zone” lending to growth and development.
Splunk for Change Management provides predefined reports and dashboards to facilitate change auditing, change detection, change reporting, change validation and incident response based on change events, change tickets and configuration files