- We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
- As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
- The Office of Corporate Counsel at Charles Schwab provides legal services and support for the Charles Schwab family of financial services companies to support business growth, advise regarding legal and other risks, and meet the needs of clients and shareholders.
- The Real Estate legal team is responsible for reviewing, drafting, and negotiating Schwab’s commercial leases and handles all other legal matters relating to real estate.
What you’ll do:
This position counsels Schwab Corporate Real Estate on all legal matters relating to the firm’s branch, franchise, data center, and administrative real estate portfolio. It requires the drafting and negotiation of leases and subleases, amendments to existing leases and subleases, construction and architecture agreements, purchase and sale agreements, SNDAs, and estoppel certificates. Responsibilities also include pre-litigation support for disputes with landlords and subtenants.
This individual will:
- Report to Director, Corporate Counsel of Real Estate.
- Manage multiple, simultaneous projects
- Negotiate leases on a daily basis;
Participate in the diligence and review of real estate leases for divestitures of business units and acquisitions;
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the negotiation and administration of Schwab leases.
What you have:
To qualify, the following is required (except where otherwise indicated):
- 8(+) years’ legal counsel experience with transactional corporate real estate and/or corporate landlord- or tenant-side representation experience, required. Experience should, ideally, be from in-house legal department of a large corporation (e.g. Fortune 500 Corporation or similar) and/or from a top-tier law firm (or similar).
- Bar admission
- Ability to handle deadline pressures.
- Understanding of how to balance legal risk with business objectives and successfully get deals closed.
- Ability to counsel senior management, including the ability to clearly and succinctly communicate risks on real estate matters.
- Proactive mindset/nature, team player, and “can do” attitude.
- Ability to work within an established structure
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills. Must also have proven ability to work independently and multi-task effectively.
- A sense of humor, a must.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life