Thrive Market is recruiting for a Corporate Counsel, based in its Marina del Rey, CA office. The CC will be an experienced generalist reporting directly to the General Counsel. This role provides, in a consultative approach, legal guidance to internal clients at various levels in the corporation, as well as deal negotiation on commercial transactions with third parties. The role will also require management of outside counsel. This person will interact with senior executives, including the CEO and CMO. Among other things, the ideal candidate will possess business savvy, be able to understand and recommend constructive solutions to complex issues, apply a results oriented approach to get things done, exhibit an ability to balance legal and business perspectives so as not to interfere with the flow of the business, have a proven track record in drafting and negotiating contracts with a firm understanding of the e-commerce space in general and the food industry in particular. This person will be expected to be embraced by their business counterparts as an indispensable part of their team.
- Advising senior management and business partners on all aspects of commercial transactions.
- Negotiating and drafting strategic partnership deals, and private label co-manufacturing transactions.
- Intellectual curiosity to gain a deep understanding of food industry regulations impacting the business and the ability to translate that understanding into actionable guidance for the business teams.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts–large and small.
- Advising on the business terms of established commercial agreements.
- Advising product team on new services, and creating and revising applicable terms and conditions.
- Advising and assisting customer service team to resolve customer concerns.
- Managing company’s intellectual property portfolio and rights.
- Managing corporate governance, including board and shareholder materials.
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials, website content and press releases to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Creating and implementing various corporate policies ranging from Social Media Marketing to FCPA compliance training.
- Creating and implementing corporate policies.
- Advising on incentive compensation plans.
- Advising on employment law matters.
- Advising on intellectual property matters, including proactive cease and desist demands.
- 3 to 5+ years of relevant legal experience;
- Prior experience as a company-side corporate lawyer at a law firm
- Prior in-house experience is preferred
- J.D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Member of the CA Bar in good standing.
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in contract negotiations. Easygoing but firm negotiating style is a must.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to get things done quickly without sweating the small stuff
- Business savvy and customer-service oriented approach to facilitate achievement of business objectives.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also to accept direction from General Counsel.
- Collegial style, team player with excellent independent judgment.
- Superior contract drafting skills–understand the “power of the pen”.
- Competitive Salary (DOE) + equity
- Unlimited vacation time
- Free Thrive membership
- Medical, dental and vision plans to choose from
- Stocked kitchen and fridges with Thrive-type foods
- Optional Yoga on Wednesdays, Kombucha Thursdays and weekly events
- Casual atmosphere and great people to work with