Reporting to the Vice President, functions as Corporate Counsel, handling general legal matters in a high volume, fast-paced small legal department environment. Under supervisor, assist in leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. As directed, provides all levels of management, including senior-level leaders, with prompt and thorough advice on legal matters and related implementation and will also work with outside counsel. Participates in or is directly involved in all aspects of complex commercial transactions, including the drafting, review and negotiation of contracts.
- Advises the business on direct selling industry rules and regulations, including the Code of Ethics, on a day-to-day basis. Assumes responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Advises the business on Advertising, Marketing, FTC, and Consumer Protection/Privacy laws.
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates contracts on a regular basis. As directed, will serve as a legal advisor on all levels of corporate and commercial transactional matters.
- Advises the business on data security and privacy laws.
- Assists with oversight of intellectual property matters, including patents, trademarks, licensing and copyrights.
- Provides general guidance on Employment Law issues, especially under Ohio law.
- Autonomously handles a wide variety of significant general legal and business matters as they arise.
- Works closely with state and country (USA and Canada) laws related to independent contractors.
- Works closely with outside counsel.
- Advises the business on regulatory/compliance laws and Corporate Governance, including matters related to product design/compliance and workplace safety.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Assists with the oversight and handling of claims and litigation.
- Conducts legal training presentations for internal business clients and external parties.
- Provides support as needed to the Loss Prevention, Safety, Workers’ Compensation, and Data Security Response teams.
- Attends standing meetings and other meetings throughout the business as assigned.
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- At least 5 years of legal experience, preferably all or in some combination from a government, law firm or corporate environment
- Experience with consumer protection and privacy laws (USA and familiarity with Canada), and a strong comfort level with contract drafting, review and negotiation
- Experience in a consumer brands business preferred
- Licensed to practice in an in-house corporate legal department in Ohio (in good standing) or fully-licensed to practice law in Ohio (in good standing)
- Strong ability to communicate with and influence all levels of the business
- Comfortable public speaker
- Able to handle a high volume of work in a small legal department, with quick turnaround times on a wide variety of subject matters
- Able to respectfully persuade internal business clients and recommend solutions
- Strong writing skills
- Good comfort level with a variety of technology platforms to be able to advise the business