Perform the critical tasks of drafting, reviewing, negotiating, helping close, and maintaining signed commercial and intellectual property agreements supporting the Human Identification (HID), Agribusiness and Reproductive Health business units within the complex and dynamic Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific, a global industry science leader. Draft and negotiate agreements with large industry-leading pharmaceutical, agricultural, biopharmaceutical, research and manufacturing companies, research institutes and also start-ups that enable the HID, Agribusiness and Reproductive Health business units within GSD to sell products and perform services; exploit opportunities based on technology owned by our Company or third parties; purchase raw materials and services, and resolve commercial or other legal disputes. Support the Division Counsel and work with others in the Life Sciences Solutions Group Legal Department to provide guidance to the HID, Agribusiness and Reproductive Health business executives as well as global team members on a range of substantive legal areas.
- Serve as central point of contact for the HID, Agribusiness and Reproductive Health business units of GSD, support and provide legal expertise to enable the business to grow.
- Draft, negotiate, and, if appropriate, seek approval for the execution of a range of commercial contracts, including third parties OEM and supply contracts, technology in-licenses, out-licenses, technical collaborations, joint development agreements, quality agreements, term sheets and other commercial agreements of varying complexity, as needed.
- Seek and provide appropriate guidance and involvement of/to other relevant functions, such as regulatory, intellectual property, licensing, business development, purchasing, accounting, sales, product management and marketing, and facilitate the approval of the appropriate management.
- Draft contract amendments and negotiate directly with external customers, interfacing with internal counsel as required.
- Perform analysis on legal rights, obligations, and strategies to help the Company achieve its commercial goals and objectives.
- Participate in due diligence and other activities relating to M&A and integration activities.
- Develop new and update existing contractual documents and constantly work with the business on improving processes to ensure efficient support.
- Train internal clients on risk management and how to effectively engage with the Legal team.
Nature and Scope:
This position interacts with personnel at all levels of the Company as well as with external customers, and requires the ability to understand and frame legal and related business issues to successfully prepare, review and negotiate commercial agreements, and resolve disputes. Effectiveness in this role requires an understanding of the GSD division’s operations and product lines (specifically those within the HID, Agribusiness and Reproductive Health business units) as well as a thorough working knowledge of contract, corporate and patent law. Perform duties proactively and independently with minimal instruction given on new projects or assignments. Job requires ability to work through and resolve problems of highly diverse scope and moderate to high complexity. Multiple tasks must often be performed contemporaneously, involving commitments of moderate levels of funds or other resources, and requiring understanding of issues surrounding personnel, finance, contracts, corporate structure, and technology. Attention to detail and the ability to recognize when to seek advice from or escalate matters to the Division Counsel, General Counsel, company executives or other company personnel, or external consultants is essential.
Education and Experience:
J.D. degree and admission to state bar is required. A degree or significant experience working in life sciences is preferred, as is a basic working knowledge of patent law. This role requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant legal experience, including contract preparation, negotiation and related activities resulting in a strong, experienced working knowledge of contract law and risk allocation. Commercial experience and working knowledge of standard business processes is essential. Excellent writing, negotiation and communication skills are required.
Works in an office environment. May, on a continuous basis, sit at desk, work on a computer, and/or speak on a telephone for long periods of time. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate and occasional travel may be required. The demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the