Business Unit Overview:
Blackrock’s Legal and Compliance Department protects Blackrock’s reputation and provides client focused advice. It understands challenges and advises on the impact of regulation in our business, with the objective of:
- Actively participating in business decisions to champion our clients’ interests and assist; the business to translate Compliance into their daily work;
- Have client interests at the center of everything we do;
- Cultivate and enhance the compliance culture within BlackRock;
- Provide thought leadership on the impact and implementation of regulation; and
- Developing and fostering excellence within the Compliance team.
An opening has become available within the Global Transaction Surveillance and Forensic Testing team. This team sits within the Regulatory Risk and Review team, which is part of the Legal and Compliance Function. The role will be based in London. BlackRock’s Transaction Surveillance team is a Global team which operates out of three hubs, London, New York City and Boston. The team is responsible for maintaining, developing, and conducting post trade surveillance. The EMEA and US Surveillance teams work in close collaboration with BlackRock’s technology development teams in the ongoing development of the programme as well as in the delivery of the Global surveillance programme.
The position reports into the EMEA Head of Transaction Surveillance and Forensic Testing based in London. This role is focused on second line Regulatory Compliance monitoring of the portfolio management and trading functions using risk focused, exception based tests as well as leveraging technology to support increasingly complex and sophisticated Global forensic testing capabilities.
- Ongoing Transaction Surveillance of Portfolio Management and Trading functions including querying Transaction Surveillance exceptions with the Portfolio Management and Trading functions;
- Ongoing forensic compliance testing, leveraging complex data analytics, trend monitoring, and statistical analysis to identify and investigate potential compliance issues;
- Interpretation of Regulatory Risk and application of this understanding to surveillance exceptions and to the ongoing iterative development of surveillance tests;
- Working within a wider global team to support the surveillance function;
- Alongside the broader Compliance teams, actively supporting and contributing to Blackrock’s strong compliance culture;
- Participating in the development of new Transaction Surveillance tests, including regulatory interpretation, technical specifications and testing;
- Development and maintenance of procedures related to Transaction Surveillance;
- Appropriate escalation and tracking of issues as they are identified;
- Maintenance of appropriate records of work completed in accordance with procedure; and
- Ad hoc projects related to Transaction Surveillance and the broader Compliance function.
- Opportunity to develop relationship management skills as the role will require the successful candidate to build and maintain relationships both within the EMEA and broader Global Legal and Compliance function, but also across a broad range of business functions including Portfolio Management, Trading, Legal, Compliance Advisory and Technology teams;
- Transaction Surveillance is conducted across a variety of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, foreign exchange and derivatives; within the context of the scale and nature of BlackRock’s business, this role will offer unparalleled opportunities to learn about the products, strategies and business areas responsible for trading and making investment decisions;
- Opportunity to develop and apply in practice a ‘Data Science’ approach to statistical analysis of data as part of an evolving surveillance program;
- Development of project management and time management skills with opportunities to participate in a variety of project related tasks alongside day to day activities;
- Opportunity to learn about BlackRock’s Aladdin applications and additional third party applications used to conduct surveillance;
- Exposure to variety of regulations and regulatory interpretation through interactions with our Compliance Advisory function and through participation in the surveillance program;
- Opportunities to develop and enhance presentation skills in various forums, develop management information and produce impactful presentations.
- Transaction Surveillance and/or Advisory Compliance experience with an investment management firm
- Higher level Excel Functionality (Macros/V Look Up);
- Data Science and big data analytics experience;
- Experience with data analysis software or statistical programming tools such as R, Python, Spotfire, and Tableau is a plus;
- Experience with transaction surveillance systems (e.g. Charles River, Actimize or Sentinel) would be valuable;
- Understanding of the asset management sector, preferably with previous experience working for an asset manager or large financial organization would be valuable; and
- Proficiency in Word and Power Point.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with emphasis on Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer programming a preference.
- Good attention to detail;
- Strong analytical skills alongside an interest in applying these skills to identify and interpret patterns within Data sets;
- Strong interest in technology and learning new applications/software;
- Strong written/oral communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Good interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Ability to work as part of team; and
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and prioritize workloads.