To form part of a professional team that interacts with various business areas (depending on specialization), ensuring that the compliance culture is embedded in business to robustly manage regulatory and reputational risks and that the relevant policies are applied within the assigned business environments.
Stakeholder Relationship Mgmt
- Build and maintain effective relations with all relevant stakeholders (example: senior members of business, auditors, operational risk and legal), through formal and informal interactions.
- Work in conjunction with/as part of the broader Compliance team, including any specialised functions pertaining to the assigned business (e.g. Global Compliance Services, Compliance Officers ,COO, Financial Crime, etc.) in order to provide adequate support to the business and ensure that all agreed compliance deliverables have been attained. This would also extend to representing Compliance at Group-level and special projects.
- Provide input to the Compliance Officers on the level of compliance by the business with internal policies and procedures, applicable laws, regulations and rules impacting the business (e.g. overdue actions and Management Information)
- Maintain professionalism in all verbal and written communication with stakeholders.
- Demonstrate convincing skills by obtaining buy in and co-operation from business unit management during the execution of reviews as well as identified weaknesses in business processes, with no negative feedback from business unit staff or the line manager.
- Provide business unit management (senior and middle management), Compliance Officers and the line manager pro-actively with continuous feedback regarding the progress of the assignment and concerns to ensure awareness of possible issues and concerns raised by business with a view towards obtaining consensus regarding findings, with minimum comebacks and re-work after the close out meeting, and minimum review notes from the line manager.
- Keep up-to-date on regulatory-related issues across a range of topics by awareness of current regulatory changes, attendance at training sessions and business unit risk forums.
Accountability: Assess the Control Environment
- Execute M&T activities (contracted reviews, special requests, and issue validation) to the high highest quality in terms of the BAGL Compliance methodology with minimum supervision from the line manager.
- Finalise the Compliance Risk Management Plan/ Test Matrix for all contracted reviews, indicating all relevant details pertaining to provisions and controls after input from the Compliance Officers.
- Agree on the scope for specific compliance reviews and communicate the planned compliance reviews to the business unit stakeholders accordingly, prior to the commencement of reviews. All reviews should be conducted using BAGL Compliance-prescribed methods, including the compilation of detailed working papers. The process should include continuous feedback should be provided to stakeholders regarding the progress thereof.
- Work with the business unit stakeholders to agree on the findings, risk ratings and remedial action required.
- Ensure all issues identified and planned actions are factually agreed with management as soon as they arise in order to increase the speed of report issuance.
- Track open findings and perform desktop reviews or on-site testing of remedial actions (and supporting documentation) implemented to address reported weaknesses / findings in Compliance reviews. Record progress made towards findings’ closure for management information purposes, and conduct M&T reviews using the review framework defined by Group Compliance.
- Manage delivery of all monthly and Monitoring and Testing reports to the Compliance Line Manager and Business, for discussion at the relevant governance forums (example: Quality Circle)
- Compile any other reports as may be required over and above the standard reports above (e.g. reports on request from stakeholders).
- Ensure that all MI has been captured completely and accurately (reviews and issues) and that the required communication has been sent to business and the Compliance Officers.
- Positively embrace key projects and system changes
- Demonstrate convincing skills by obtaining buy in and co-operation from business unit management during the execution of reviews as well as identified weaknesses in business processes, with no negative feedback from business unit staff or the line manager
- Ensure that all MI has been captured completely and accurately (reviews and issues) and that the required communication has been sent to business and the Compliance Officers
Qualification and experience
- 3 Year Degree in Commerce, Auditing or Law
- 4-5 Years’ experience in Auditing, law, risk management or Compliance
- Audit experience in Financial Services environment
Knowledge & Skills: (Maximum of 6)
- Leadership Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Strong communication and business report writing skills
- Relationship building
- Negotiation Skills
- Conflict management
Preferred Education and skills required
- Competencies: (Maximum of 8 competencies)
- Deciding and initiating action
- Learning and researching
- Relating and networking
- Adapting and responding to change
- Persuading and influencing